Jersey Cow for Sale

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JElfering, Apr 17, 2005.

1. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

Will be selling family jersey milker after the county fair '05. Our children are in 4-H and want to exhibit her. As a heifer she took jr championship in open fair. But more importantly, she is a sweet family milk cow. She is tame, hand-milked in first lactation producing heifer calf on February 25, 2005. Calf is not weaned yet. Usually wean around 2 to 2 1/2 months. We are located in Northeast WI and would like to see her go to a good home. Still have her mother. All cows are of gentle spirit and are good producers. We favor a natural approach in raising our jerseys. Does anybody know of other places to advertise? I have a family that is interest but they may be moving.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

2. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Well-Known Member

Hello Jennifer,

Could you tell me what you mean when you say you like to take the natural approach?

Does that mean you keep the calf on her as opposed to the big dairy way of taking the calf?

I would be interested in any information you are willing to give.

Oh and by the way, if we lived in WI we would love to buy your cow! Just a bit too far from Oregon.

Deborah

3. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

Could you tell me what you mean when you say you like to take the natural approach?

No hormones, just hand-milk what she produces beyond the calf needs.

Does that mean you keep the calf on her as opposed to the big dairy way of taking the calf?

Yes, the calf gets to stay on.

Oh and by the way, if we lived in WI we would love to buy your cow! Just a bit too far from Oregon.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

P.S. How did you get the addy = Happyfarmwife? Can you modify your user id?

4. Happyfarmwife

That is what I am referred to by a number of friends. The happy farmers wife. :)

My husband and I have always had a farm of sorts. Always a garden and fruits, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys. We used to live in Alaska, so we never attempted to keep a milk cow. Now that we are back in Oregon it is one of the most important things we feel is necessary to our independance from the grocery stores.

Why should I modify my user id? You can call me Deborah.

5. Happyfarmwife

Jennifer, I re-read your post about my user id, and I think I misunderstood what you were asking.

Did you mean can anyone change their user id? I don't know if you can or not, I think you would have to reregister to change your user id. I would ask a moderator for sure.

Anyway, have a great day!

Deborah

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We would be interested in her, depending on price, and whether or not she was bred. I have folks in Illinios, so if you are Southern Wisconson....

7. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

Nutmeg (cow of concern) is not currently bred. Only two months freshened. Hope to have her bred back by May/June. Would be happy to send you details via e-mail with pictures. I am new and do not know how to show pictures on this list.
    Thanks,
    Mom of 10

8. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

The fair was extraordinary for the children. Our prize cow, Cinnamon took Grand Champion and I am afraid my husband decided to keep her. She was being pursued by the judge, auctionneer and vet just to name a few. Our daughter wants to show her again next year and she is due to calve in April. Her jersey was mentioned as Best of Show after the Holstein if there had been such a category. We can't wait to see her calf!

Cinnamon - Grand Champion, 1st, Jr Champion (Unbelieveable barrel)
    Ginger - Reserved Grand Champion (Mother to Cinnamon), 1st, Sr. Champion

FOR SALE:
    Nutmeg - 1st, Reserve Sr. Champion (Beautiful Foreudder)*,
    weighs 732# as of 8/24
    Rosemary - 1st, Reserve Jr. Champion*, weighs 362# as of 8/24
    Basil - 1st (may keep instead of selling, it depends), weighs 198# as of 8/24
    Oregano - 1st*, weighs 169# as of 8/24

*(Still for sale with inquiries pending)

9. windkistacres

windkistacres Member

don't have much money, but might be able to trade something........must be friendly and if not milking now needs to be very pregnant.

10. rev

rev Member

You can advertise on this site:

www.nehbc.org

It is the New England Heiritage Breeds Conservancy -

the Old Buck

11. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

What are you asking per cow?