jersey calves with scours question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by andy gingery, Mar 25, 2006.

1. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

we have two jersey bull calves and i was wanting to know, can you give them a bottle of water in between the normal feedings of milk replacer, or can you put a small bucket of water out for them? I know they only get a half a bottle of milk replacer at each feeding, but i was just wanting to know. Can you give a jersey the scours feeding grain if the grain is to high in protein or just to rich? what is the best kind of grain that would work for a jersey? the grain that we feed now is 14% protein min., 3% fat min., 10% fiber max., ingredients: grain products, alfalfa, molasses, soybean meal, cottonseed meal, linseed meal, calcium carbonate, salt, soybean oil, selemimum, vitamin A, natural and artificial flavors. I appreciate any help i can get with these calves. they seem to be very touchy to deal with. :confused:

2. Kenyon

Kenyon Member

I can't help you much, but I can tell you that if you leave out water and grain for bottle calves, they will potentially get full on it and not take a bottle.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

A bottle calf that *won't* take a bottle?? I would consider that one sick calf!! :p Seriously, we have always left grain and water out for our bottle calves and they never refused a bottle because of it....

4. Marjorie Dickso

Marjorie Dickso Well-Known Member

I've noticed a lot of people say to feed a sweet calf starter. What works for some don't always work for others. I keep buying that stuff and the calves (bought calves) as well as the calves with mothers,,prefer the unsweetened grain mix I have. There is always water available as well as hay.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Yes, Jersey calves are touchy. The University of WI experts are recccommending fresh water be kept available for calves between feedings.
    I don't think calf will scour from grain. The main thing with grain for calves is large particles, which is why commercial calf (sweet products) use rolled oats and corn, etc. Calves don't like or do well on finely ground grain products. The acid test is are they eating it? The sooner the better, but some calves are slower to start on grain than others. Pellets work ok too.
    Not that we are experts, but if a calf looks a little scourish, we will use the same amount of water but half amount of powder 1-2 times and see if that straightens them out . Don't do this ongoing though, or calf won't get enough nutrition. Jersey bull calves can be sensitive to cold temperatures moreso than other breeds, because they just don't have much weight to them. Looks like Kansas has had some cold nights(for there) lately, you may want to adjust for that. 6- 8 inch bed of straw would not be excessive for little calves on cold nights..or you could entirely bury them except for their head. (IN straw). Folks up here actually use special blanket jackets for those little calves, but shouldn't be needed in your neck of the woods.
    Best Luck, you can't learn if you don't ask, right?

6. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hi folks, just a little input. I am raising two Jersey calves in fact they just turned 12 days old. I leave calf starter the sweet version and 1/2 filled buckets of water in their pens 24/7. Whenever scours develops I immediately remove dairy products from the menu for 48 hours. I replace the milk replacer with my own sure stopping scours rememdy. After 48 hours the scours is gone. Scours can develop from any type of stressfull situation i.e. first time out of it's pen and running in the grass, trailer rides home from dairy, germs, meeting new animals, but most of all from feeding them to much milk replacer. A Jersey bull calf should only receive 2/3rds of a two quart bottle. 8oz powder and the rest warm water. Giving the animal anymore than 2/3rds bottle is asking for immediate trouble. I even at time give less then the required amount if the stool begins to loosen up. I raised numerous bottle calves each year and can tell you this I have never had a calf that isn't ready to suck the bottle whenever it was offered. I agree if a calf won't suck it's sick. In fact I won't buy a newborn calf unless it sucks on my hand at the dairy. Sorry so long, just wanted to help....Tennessee John

7. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

we would like to say thanks to all that replyed .the feed that we were feeding was grounrd real fine.we whent to the feed store an got a sweet feed that has pellet an rolled corn an oats.we placed a water bucket with the calves.we use prairy hay for bedding instead of straw.they seem to be doing better there are no signs of loose stoll [scours] when they did it had a smell that ranck bad.yellow in color.we feed them 8 oz milk replacer to half of a two quart bottel each.the only thing changed was the feed an we put water in with them.

8. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Andy, not quite sure how old your calves are but once the stools are normal I would up the water content of the bottles to 3/4 full. Keep the 8oz-milk replacer the same but up the water amount. Hydration is important, but like I mentioned I have no idea on the age of the animals. If they drink bucket tap water daily then it doesn't matter. Like they say it's better to have a hungry calf vice a sick calf, so don't be tempted to overfeed just because their bodies appear skinny. Good luck with the boys. Tennessee John

9. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

That is digestive scours. (Yellow and stinks to high heaven)
    You are not feeding to much with a 1/2 bottle but something went wrong. Your water was a little cold one time; calf posture was not right at feeding; cold snap in the weather; ect ect......................
    What happened was they got some milk into the unused part of their stomach and it curdled. They have a muscle to stop this but changes make them upset and the milk finds its way through.
    Keep the fresh water and sweet feed in front of them 24/7. The more they eat the faster their ruminant action will start and this will prevent the digestive scours.

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

John in La- GOOD INFO!
    AndyGingery - It is to your credit that you seek and utilize knowledge available. I think everyone reading can see the true effort you put in to caring for your animals! Sincerely wish you all the best with the calves.

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Get a egg put egg in mouth of calf smash the entire egg shell in mouth, and all it will stop scores. I was told this a few years ago and by golly it works.