Jersey Bucket Calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Slev, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I went to the sale barn today, just looking. Mostly Holsteins and a few bummers, but I'm wondering how much are little Jersey bucket calfs going for now a days? Say in the Miswest vs. the East/West Coasts?

thanks

2. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

you can get that your self better then us telling you......i am thinking the weather now has alot to do with the prices......if you use google go to....usda cattle auctions......it will bring up a map pick the state you want...... then just check do the list for dairy and it will tell you each week what the price is....i us it every day........hope this helps

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Try contacting a breeder and ask him where to find some Jersey calves, that are on a bucket. Then get numbers, and call the farm, then ask them. We buy all our animals directly from a farm, I do not trust an auction, you never know what your getting. All farms do have different prices, so this is why you call around. If you have any cows, it might help to have the breeder eye them, so he could give the good word to the farmer. Fortuneatly the breeder came to breed a Jersey, he saw our herd and said they have excellent muscle mass etc, and overall knew we took care of them. So he arranged an appointment with a farm, and if he didn't give us a good word, I doubt we would have the 10 from there here. It does help, because the caring farmer sometimes will not let an animal go just anywhere, unless they HAVE to sell some. So my advice to you, ask a breeder or a vet, then go from there. Just take your time looking..

Jeff

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Not sure on bucket calves. I am assuming you are looking for one a few weeks old and drinking milk from a bucket? Drop heifer jersey calves went for 2.50 a lb or better yesterday.

5. Guinea mama

Guinea mama Well-Known Member

We bought ours who was 2 weeks old, for $100. We live in Iowa. He is the nicest little thing, bigger right now then my holstein mix, who is just 4 days younger.

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We sold a two week old, bucket trained 7/8 Jersey, 1/8 Norwegian Red bull calf the week before Christmas and he brought $5.00. The other two crosses we sent (one was 7/8 Jersey, 1/8 N.R., the other 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) brought $18.50 and $22.00 the same day.
    I don't know of many farms in this area that keep bull calves long enough to train them to bucket. We tend to, but then we are not normal aparently.