Jersey bloodlines????

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Kaye White, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

I am not at all familiar with Jersey bloodlines....I am curious if anyone has ever heard of the bull Buttercrest Gold Dust..#1 JE 518.Or where I could find some info on this bull.
    Reason I ask...I bred my Reg. Jersey cow AI to this bull and am expecting calf around the 19th of Jan. I got the semen from a dairyman near me and he said he really liked the bull for Type and production.

Ask me about Toggenburg dairy goats and I can go on for days....but just fell in love with this cow when I saw her.Had to have and haven't regretted it one bit!She was a kid's 4-H project that got abandoned. :mad: She weighed every bit of 500#...gggrrr! Well,after 5 mo. of feed/hay/worming and lots of TLC she went to 950#,finally came into heat and I bred her to angus bull.She gave me a bull calf...raised it to 3 mo. + two more...She raised 13 calves for me last year and provided hubby and me all the milk/butter we could stand!Big plus...she would milk by hand or machine...which ever I felt like! Day we milked her out to dry off...4 gal. of milk,and this was 14 mo. after she freshened! :eek: also a little overweight...to say she was fed good during lact. is a understatement!

My intentions are to sell the calf if it's a heifer...and would like to know something about this bull.Any help or neg/pos input would be appreciated.
    Thanks bunches,
    Kaye

2. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

From his code he's a Genex bull but he isn't listed on their website and I haven't heard of him. Must be either a test bull or a really old one. Contact your local Genex rep or email them

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Yeah, a lot of feed will tend to yield high milk production too. Remember, protein/feed = energy which converts to milk. If she is fat, lol thats also why!

Good milker.

Jeff

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

Thank you very much for the replies.Thanks DaleK..this gives me a place to hunt for lines.
    Kaye

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like he is a young Sire. Morgan is 1J480 and he has been selling for about a year now. So 1J518 is going to be younger.

I am trying to locate our most recent "Official Jersey Genetic Summary" and so will hopefully be able to get you some information.

He definitely is not listed in the current Sales list for Genex.

6. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

Researching Jersey pedigrees is my hobby. I'll check into it latter. Just came in for lunch at the inlaws house and don't have the passwords I need to look it up on US Jersey. If nobody else finds it first, I'll try to look tonight. I'm not too knowledgeble on Genex bulls. I'm into good "minus index" type bulls, A nonconformist to the end :)

7. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

Sire: Al Top All American

Dam: Buttercrest Berretta Godiva EX92
    5-10 305 19610 4.6 3.9

MGS Lester

He was born 6-9-00

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

OH....that is so much more than I knew!!!! Thank you,Thank you.

Question....is the sire of Gold Dust --MGS Lester??

<VBG> I know the meaning of that 92! Also production isn't too shabby for dam.And I do recognize the Berretta in the dam.

Maybe this will be a decent calf?...<g> had a dairyman that has CL and LA'ed for years-30+,take a look at cow...and he estimated she would be in high 80's maybe even 90. Was really pleased! Said udder would be an EX....I just know going by LA scores on goats....it's a really nice,high tight udder....no saggy here...which is a good thing.Keeps it outa' the mud!

Thank you so much Reformed_Farmer...your information is priceless!
    Kaye

9. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

Question....is the sire of Gold Dust --MGS Lester??

No, his sire is All American. Lester is the maternal grandsire. Lester was the foundation of many good brood cows. The lesters had great udders and milked well. His great flaw was his rumps. They had sloped rumps and high tail heads, and could be a little weak in the lion, but otherwise were great cows. We breed several Lester daughters, one went EX92. The other 2 where VG 87. Lester's best son was Lester Sambo. Wonderfull dairy cows with shallow udders.

10. dosthouhavemilk

We have a Lester daughter. She scored a 90. She is almost 11 years old now and our oldest cow.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

Thanks so much....<stupid grin> I thought the AI Top All-American was a program the jersey assn. had! Like dairy goats have an All-American for ea. breed! <DUH> See...I told you I had no idea about Jerseys.

Guess I didn't do to bad for a beginner! And admittingly...not having a clue as to what I was doing! :eek: Just wanted her bred!

Gave Reformed_Farmer's information to hubby.... :no: he said maybe we oughta' keep heifer? :no: Isn't going to happen....he gets one cow and before I know it....we'll be in the dairy business....no,way is he allowed to buy females-only bull calves! to raise for beef!

Thanks again..and now I can spend a couple weeks anxiously awaiting my calf!
    Kaye

12. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

"We have a Lester daughter. She scored a 90. She is almost 11 years old now and our oldest cow."

Again I say, "We loved our Lesters!" The last one to die was 12.

Our oldest cow right now is 13. She is a Meadow Lawn J Imperial daughter. My other Imperial died last year at age 12. Her last record was over 30,000. Her last 2 calves were bulls. We used both for herdsires. The one by Juno Rocco of Nettle Creek has daughters calving in now. We have alot of calves by her Glenamore Top Prize son.

If anyone dosen't know......"Rocco" is backed by 7 gen of EX dams(starting with Billings Top Roseanne EX96) and sired by Juno.

"Top Prize" is sired by the great Master C Tops and out of Glenamore Gold Prize EX97. He is dead now, but he has a brother by "Grove" who is the highest scored jersey bull in canada(EX96) and is a full brother to "First Prize". He is available from Alta.

None of these bulls will improve your JPI, But hey...I still think breeding cows is an ART. Just as art exibits don't have many "color by numbers" works in them, There are few herds of "numbers cows" that turn your head and and give you that tingley feeling in your tummy.:)

13. dosthouhavemilk

We should have had a 14 year old retired cow right now. She was in beautiful shape, except that she was older and moved slower. Her udder wasn't as great as it used to be either and we just weren't going to breed her again. Unfortunately, she came back positive for Johne's after testing negative for eight years so we had to ship her. :waa:
    We had a Brigadier daughter (I believe, I need to double check that) who tossed all bull calves except one heifer. We kept two of them for breeding. The second bull settled his half sister. That result is Amity (Berretta by Lester with Brig on both sides), who made over 18,000 lbs. her first lactation! Wonderful lines. We really like the bulls we keep for clean up. Right now we have some Jersey/Norwegian Red crosses that are doing quite well. Mostly because of the Dam's line, rather than the Sire's.
    Which group so you utilize most for your bull choices?
    We have Genex, Select Sires, and just purchased a couple from ABS again. We also have some semen left over from a bull that was bred and raised here a loong time ago. When I learn how to AI, I will use that semen.
    One of our crossbreeds (Myrher X Olympian) is settled to our last straw of Bush River Brigadier (we split it and only one settled) and due on 2/13/05. We are really hoping for a heifer out of that pair.
    We have been finding some really old straws and bulls and can finally use them fairly confidentally with these crosses.
    We've had quite a few mishaps with the BoldX Brass crosses..even with thrid generations. It definitely is an art at this point on getting healthy, vigorous, quality offspring.

Our herd

14. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

We are using mostly Breeders Choice Sires, Semex, and Taurus right now.
    Current sires being used are....."Deluxe"(just sold one at the WDE Sale), Duke, (Deluxe and Duke are both out of Dorie Dee and Renniassance) Just Wait(WhistlerXJuno), Furor(SparklerXNadine EX97), Sultan(Cent.XJude), Ressurection(RennXBelle), BW Country, WF Bomber, Jade(JunoXBelle).

As far as inbreeding......its all what you inbreed. Remeber that it multiplys the effects of the bad traits as well as the good. The best cows ever were built on linebred families. A couple of years ago the winner at the WDE Holstien show was a Tony Daughter that had one sire that showed up something like 98 times!

You say you've got old semen? Anything interesting. I like using "antique" sires. Any Juno or Imp in there? Bright Spot or Generator? Anything in glass amp's. Just had to ask :)

We breed for cows with Deep bodies, wide chests, good rib, shallow udders, and style. Cows that last a long time. Those cows will milk, even if the "numbers" say they won't.

15. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Sally is the grand matriach of our herd at almost 15. SIred by Renassaince, ex90 @ 10yrs, just had 3# 1 embry by jade. Glaze is 12 by J imperial, EX 90, Grace EX90 by Gemini General is 10,Rose EX91 is 10. We really seem to have an old herd, but we don;t cull hard when heifers are so valuable. We prefer those minus Bulls, like Jade, Counciller, First Prize, Furor, Stylemaster, and oldies like Berretta, Lester. I have worked to many farms to see high production two year olds blow their sacks and leave the herd too early. Reformed Farmer you wouldn't happen to have any J Imperial semen left??? We actually have a little Sept calf by him and would like to flush momma back.

16. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

Reformed Farmer you wouldn't happen to have any J Imperial semen left???

No, I wish I did. Its gettin' hard to come by.

17. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Kind of Jersey heaven around here. Hollylane is about 6 miles away, Avonlea Genetics a little farther, and there are a bunch of other top-end Jersey herds around.

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

:haha: You guys are too much....I should have posted for help long time ago!! I'm learning quite a bit as you post lines...do's and don'ts.

Thanks so much for all the info.! I enjoy reading about who does what and who won't do what. I'm certainly hoping this cow milks as long as some of yours! :) This will only be her 3rd calf....so maybe I have MANY years of production out of her. Besides,she's not going anywhere...she's part of the family. :eek:

Kaye