Jersey/Angus cross

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by caroline00, Sep 15, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I dont know what the percentage is... it is at least half Jersey. She has been used for milk... what do we expect if we buy it? Will it milk less? will it milk at all? Will it have a shorter lactation?

... if she is bred, it is to a Jersey

Thanks! She is a price we can afford.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

We have friends who have a Jersey dairy. Years ago they had one of their heifers accidently get bred to an Angus bull. She had a heifer calf, and they decided to keep her and just see how she turned out. Her production is high enough that they've kept her in the herd for several years now. I know she's still there, because I saw her just the other day when I was there. If she's been milked, she should be fine, and I'm sure she'll give more than enough for a family to use.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Caroline,
    I would go with Ty's opinion - if she has been milked and is quiet she is probably good value for money. I don't know how old she is but she will definately provide enough milk for your needs and some to spare. If it helps make a decision for you, I milk a Jersey/Belgian Blue and if she were the only cow I milked, she would provide enough for the house, a calf and a pig.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

OK, she is 7 years old and is bred to a Holstein (they saw the breeding and she *has* calved every year). She is 1/2 Jersey/ 1/2 angus... is milking 4 gallons a day right now. They dont want me to tell what they are asking because if we dont buy her, they will increase the price quite a bit...

we are currently spending $80 plus a month on raw milk.... we are also feeding a calf and pigs... I am thinking that if we had milk, we would spend less money on pig feed etc...

we are going back tonight for the milking and will make a decision then. they are willing to keep her... with us coming at chore time until we are ready/comfortable to take her home.

She isnt easy to catch in a large field so if we get her, we will keep her in a small fenced yard (pasture) until she gets to know our routine... She will eat the same grain we feed our goats and the same hay we feed our calf...

They are tired of milking and slowly getting rid of thier cows...
    what do you think? The other one is full jersey a few years older and they havent seen her come in to heat this year... They are asking the same price for her...We are saying *no* on her.

we feel like even one calf (whether milk or meat), and one season of milking will probobly pay for herself.

so what do you all think?

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice cow. At only 7 she should have several good years left in her as a family cow. The "hard to catch" part is probably her Angus side showing through a little, but you may can gentle some of that out of her. If you're comfortable with her and with the price, I'd say buy her.