Jerky

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Nov 6, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Making Jerky....what have you used (meat type) and suggestions for methods?

I've made turkey jerky, deer, and beef jerky and was pleased with it. It stores easy and good for the trail or quick lunch.

Also, question? Pork....can this be used for jerky?
    Has anyone made bear jerky?

2. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Beef, I marinade in mesquite flavor. Turkey, I marinade in teriyaki. I set the oven about 150 degrees and dry it there with the oven door partway open. Yes, I probably waste a lot of enegry, but I can do more at a time and the 'yums' from friends are worth it.
    As long as I can remember, my nick name growing up was 'erckie.' So when I'd bring the turkey jerkey to work..... folks laughed, called it Erckie's Turkey Jerky :rolleyes: Gotta love the friends with humor.

3. paulat333

paulat333 Member

DH made beef jerky pretty regularly last winter and has started up again this year. He uses an electric smoker (bought a bigger on last year so he could make more at a time.) He did make turkey jerky some years back. A co-worker of his is supposed to get him some venison to make some jerky for him and we'll get to keep some. He's been making batches on the weekend and his co-workers have been buying some from him, too. They like it better than the stuff they'd buy at the store.

Last year, he mostly used a basic pepper brine, but he's been experimenting this year. Last weekend he made a teriyaki batch, which smelled great. I don't know the whole recipe, but it included soy sauce and red wine. When he made some this weekend, he split the recipe and made half the same as last weekend and the other half he made the brine with apple cider replacing the wine. He smoked that one with apple wood chips.

I don't care all that much for jerky, but I do love the smell when it's smoking. I also finally got him to smoke a chicken for me last weekend before I cooked it. It was great! I'll have to get him to smoke a whole lot more meat for me.

Paula

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

the reason they recommend not using pork is the high fat content, but this assumes your pork came from a lard pig. If it is from a lean meat pig and you are not worried about trichinosis, then pork would work fine. There was a thread about this on the pig section I want to say about 3 months ago?

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=47442

found the link

5. Litsa

Litsa Member

Moonwolf,
    Bear jerky is not unlike deer jerky as long as you use fat free slices. There's two kinds of trail jerky, one that you want to stay whole to snack on and the other to crumble for cooking stew. Bear fat has 'yuck' flavors, drying or cooking. The hind leg has less fat and is a large enough piece to provide nice sized slices for line drying jerky. Other parts have to be trimmed well and may be small. They are better used for pre-seasoned stew chunks and could require a net for drying. Jerky meat should be cut along the grain, otherwise it can crumble apart, but if you cannot cut it thin enough you may want to cut it across the grain so that it does break more easily, then you may have to use nets or trays for drying no matter what the size of slice.
    Gamey meats always do well with a smokehouse spa retreat.
    Litsa