Jerky and salami recipes

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

Jerky recipe

Cut about 4 pounds of meat into inch thick strips. I cut mine about 4-5 inches long, but it really doesn't matter.

In a large bowl with a tight fitting lid combine 2 bottles of soy sauce (mine are 11 ounce bottles) and 1 bottle of Worchestershire sauce. Add 3 tsp of garlic powder, 3 TBSP of ground allspice (the secret ingredient!!!) 3 TBSP of coarse ground black pepper (use less if you use regular grind pepper) and 6 TBSP of onion flakes. Add the meat and shake it up really well. You can marinate it for 2-3 days in the fridge, shaking it up every once in a while.

Then dry it in the oven (3-4 hours at 180 degrees) or in a dehydrator.

You can play with this recipe, if you like hot sauce, add it. If you have a dab of BBQ sauce, mix it in. You can use fresh chopped onions and garlic if you have it on hand. The allspice is what really adds the flavor. If you don't care for it so much, you may want to cut it back. I put a lot because we really love it. Enjoy!!!

Salami Recipe

5 lbs ground deer meat
    3 Tablespoons Morton quick salt (a curing salt available at Krogers around here)
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    2 1/2 tsp garlic pepper
    2 1/2 tsp mustard seed

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 3 days, kneading well each day. When ready to cook, form into rolls or loaves (like mini meatloaves) I usually make ones that are about 1/2 pound size) Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven 200 degrees for 3-4 hours depending on the size. When they are done, if you cut them, they will be firm and bright pink looking.

2. Melissa that jerky recipe is very similar to my recipe except I add a dribble of liquid smoke. Also this make a very good steak or roast marinade as well.

If you like deer salami you might try making yourself some deer polish sausage and deer summer sausage as well. They are easy to make and very deliciaous also.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

MSN forums has one called meat making.Great site if your interested in meat.
    BooBoo

4. mightybooboo

MSN forums has one called meat making.Great site if your interested in meat.
    Its
    www.meatmaking@groups.msn.com
    when the page opens, on the left it says 'search this site'
    type in meatmaking.Sorry its convoluted,but covers everything meat of all kinds.
    BooBoo

5. Melissa

Melissa member

I tried the liquid smoke once, but I did not care for it much. It was also a bit costly for my budget! The recipe also originally called for Accent, which is just MSG, but it gives me a dreadful headache.

If anyone else has some favorite recipes, feel free to post them.

6. aussie dave

aussie dave Active Member

thinking of trying to make a salami sausage with a sausage make a friend has lent me but the salami's I have seen are from 2 to 4 inch in diameter and the sausage making supplier only supplies casings that are up to 1 inch.
    can anyone suggest an alternative?
    thanks in advance

7. Melissa

Melissa member

I have also developed a new recipe for making jerky with ground meat. Will post it soon.

8. njmama

njmama Well-Known Member

Thanks Melissa!

9. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Kielbasa

Ingredients :
    11 lb Lean pork butt
    10 lb Lean Wild game (or Beef)
    1 tbl Garlic salt
    1 tsp Black pepper
    1 tbl Salt
    2 tbl Mustard seed
    1 head garlic cloves
    1 qt Water
    Paprika (sprinkle)

Method :
    Grind all meat together with meat grinder using a large hole setting.

Crush garlic & mix with other seasonings into ground meats. Knead together thoroughly. Knead in the quart of water slowly until all is absorbed. Soak sausage casings in cold water with several changes of water to loosen them. Put casings on funnel end of sausage stuffer.

Tie end of casing. Put meat in stuffer & crank & fill casing. Prick casings liberally to let air escape before placing in oven. Bake at 325 F for 1 hr. Add water in bottom of pan as needed.

10. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, Melissa and Clifford, for your recipes! I'm going to have to call around and see where I can purchase sausage casings for the kielbasa. I just was too wimpy to try to save the intestines when we butchered our hogs this year! Same thing with the heads. I COULD NOT make myself remove the eyes, cook the heads, etc. Jan in CO

11. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Use and have used this recipe for jerky and marinading steaks.
    1Cup Catsup
    1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
    1/2Cup water
    1 Bay Leaf
    1/4Cup of vinegar
    2Table spoons of brown sugar
    1Clove garlic(minced)(1/8tsp)
    Simmer slowly for 5-10 minutes.
    Cool.
    Pour over meat in a glass container with a lid.
    and let set overnight in the refrig.
    Turn every couple hours.
    Then dry/dehydrate or cook(steaks) as desired.
    Enjoy.

12. mightybooboo

Ok,mine is in the refer,let you know what I get.I made 50/50 mix pork and beef.

BooBoo :gromit:

13. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never made jerky so excuse me if this is a dumb question. Can you store it without refridgeration? I've seen it in stores just packaged on the shelf. Is this the same stuff?

14. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

For you salami try cutting both ends from a can the size you want and stuff it full and bake it. Just don't use the painted cans. I will also try to find our recipe for deer jerky using ground deer and post it later. Sam

15. mightybooboo

jerky doesnt need refer.

16. mightybooboo

17. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

How do you store your salami when it is done? And how fine is your meat ground?

18. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Here is our ground meat Jerky recipe.
    (very similar to Melissa's)
    1 lb very lean ground meat
    4 tbs. worcestshire sauce
    4 tbs soy sauce
    1/4 tsp onion salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Mix all together and form into thin patties or strips, place in dehydrator all day at 145. My kiddies and dh love this stuff, so it doesn't stick around here long.

I'm gonna try some allspice (from Melissa's recipe) in the next batch and see how it comes out.

19. mightybooboo

Im going to freeze some,and I used a medium grind.Think I will eat it with cheese and crackers,and use some with boiled cabbage,potatoes,carrots and an onion.

BooBoo :gromit:

20. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

I freeze the salami. Cut into manageable lengths and vacume seal it. The first grind is with the coarse blade and I use the coarse blade again when stuffing the casings using the meat grinder with the stuffer attachment.