Jerking,Smoking,Salting,Brine,Curing ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jagger, May 2, 2004.

1. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Whats your favoriate method of perserving meat,fish,fowl? Without the use of electricity. I'm interested in perserving fish what r the best methods as to flavor? Like native species bass, catfish, blue gills etc..
    Canning? Any recipies would be great. Ups and downs. Thanks for any info.

Jagger

2. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

One thing you might look at is a solar smoker.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Jagger go to the library and check it out for these. Also ther is several books on this, try amazon.com then see if the books are on ebay. shadowwalker

4. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't tried cooking any, but I have eaten some of the best suckers, buffalo, bass and carp, I have ever tasted smoked using a smoker. They used hickory wood to cook it. These smokers can be bought at Wal Mart for very little dollars. They are on sale quite often. I have also tasted the best chicken ever ,that was cooked in one.

I have one of the smokers and tried smoking some beef steaks. I don't know what I did wrong. They had a great taste but was tough as leather. I have thought about getting some chickens and trying to smoke them like my friend did. Just haven't. Afraid I will mess them up like the beef steaks. :haha: