Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up, Jeremiah Johnson is on AMC in a half hour (12 noon Pacific, 3pm on the east coast, the rest of you will have to figure yourselves out).

Like I always say, I love this movie, it calms me down and makes everything better. Hairy men, fur, snow, kicking horses, "wild" indians(hope that doesn't offend anybody, I would have been one of those white pioneer women who ran away...), beards, growling. It sooths my 21st century beast.

Ah, Jeremiah, here's my hair, drag me away!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I doubt the real Jeremiah Johnson was as pretty as Robert Redford. More likely he was big, crooked nosed, ugly as sin, and hairy like the rest of us wilderness types. :)

I'm lucky. I found a woman who likes big craggy men.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Don't know about pretty, but Johnson had a fearsome reputation. I got the nickname Liver Eatin Johnson for a reason. Supposedly after he killed an Indian in battle, he ripped out his liver and ate it. That reputation served him well when he was sheriff at Red Lodge, MT. (Didn't have a jail and didn't need one while he was sheriff.)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have it on video,watch it ever now an then it;s a good one for sure

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay okay...so Robert Redford is a little too pretty (at least he covered it up with a BEARD!) So who else would make a good JJ? Kevin Bacon? nah(calm down, I'm joking, at least I didn't say Johnny Depp!). I can't think of anybody!There's lots of fine hairy guys in Braveheart, and they're even wearing kilts to boot. Yum!

PS, there's a Jeremiah Johnson on one of Oregon's football teams(OSU? UO?) was funny listening to the game today, Jeremiah Johnson was getting a lot of annoucer talk time!

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I doubt the real Jeremiah Johnson was as pretty as Robert Redford. More likely he was big, crooked nosed, ugly as sin, and hairy like the rest of us wilderness types. :)

I'm lucky. I found a woman who likes big craggy men.

Actually he's a black man and he no longer does any trapping. He now plays football. I don't recall just which two college teams they was showing on the sports news this evening but they was showing him making a touchdown.

If he makes it to the pro's, I imagine he'll have plenty of women all over him.

Add: He's #24 Running Back for the Oregon Ducks.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
"Hawk. On his way to the Musselshell. It would take me a week, H... he is already there."

I am sure that isn't 100% correct. But that is my favorite part of the movie for some reason.

I like movies and books about mountain men.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Jim Bridger is one of my heroes, though it's nearly impossible to sort out fact from fiction where he's concerned. Jeremiah Johnson (from the movie) wasn't a real person, but rather a collection of bits from various other mountain men of the time, loosely based from one named "Johnston", of the liver-eating fame.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
JJ is one of the first dvd's I obtained, when I switched to DVD's. You couldn't pay me to watch it on AMC. When AMC went with commercials, I went elsewhere. Eating livers shouldn't be interrupted with commercials for Polident.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I was in love with JJ too....real or fiction he was a great character. I've read all kinds of books about Jim Bridger and other mountain men. I'm not sure I'm tough enough to be like them, but I love the individualism and solitude they enjoyed.

Will Greer was perfect in the part of the older mountain man....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I always loved that movie ever since i was a young'n. I got it on dvd to. A buddy burned it for me. In my opinion the greatest mountain man that ever lived would have to be Simon Kenton. He was more of a longhunter than a mountain man. Think 1700s instead of 1800s . You can read all about him in Alan Eckert books. Most of his books are historical novels in the Ohio country during the French and Indian war.

Keep your powder dry

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I have seen it :D :D :D

Have they ever made a movie of Trask? that's a fave book of mine too(Don Berry). I live fairly near that whole area.

I enjoyed this book too--A Lady's Life in the the Rocky Mountains, by Isabella Bird. She was a free spirit who had a mountain man-friend too(wink wink)

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If your a buckskinner (or want to be), it's required to be watched at least 100 times.

My favorte line was when Grizz and JJ were sneaking up on some elk by walking behind their horses.....
J.J."won't they see us?"
Grizz, "elk don't know how may legs a horse has..............."

Some say, he's up there still......................

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I prefer the Brian Kieth and Charlton Heston movie "Mountain Men" but mostly cause it had more dialog in it and a bit of humour i could understand...... and it too is required watcing for buckskinners.... who end up copying the open tent design for sleeping by the creek under...... ok so they took a little license with the movie....... I never was Redford fan but I try to sit down and watch a movie like that once in awhile, to see if i am living wrong still..... if it calls to me to get out and chase over the mountains, i know ivebeen couped up to long....

William

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
Jeremiah Johnson ,The outlaw Josey Wales and Richard Harris as Zachary Bass in man in the Wilderness were 3 independent tough characters with a lot of guts.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
What amazes me is that the west was explored by men who used .50 caliber/.30 caliber SINGLE SHOT rifled musket Hawken's and plains guns .
they are a far cry from the ar15 that some people think are the "weapon of choice "today .

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I don't think you fully appreciated their situation, Hanna.

These were men who were facing Indians with bows and the occasional bear. Their range was vastly superior to what they were going up against at the time.

In addition, they didn't have an area to defend. They didn't LIVE where they were exploring. If they met stiff resistance in one area, they just went somewhere else to explore or trap.

I think if you showed the average 1850 fur trapper an AR-15 they'd love it. That is until it broke down on them up in the mountains somewhere and some Crow walked away wearing their scalp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts