Jena's Farmers Market...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

In my quest to find outlets to sell my veggies, I contacted an Uncle who is the president of a neighbourhood community center. I asked if he would bring up to the board my request to have an area in the parking lot to sell out of my truck. Well its turning into a farmers market! :eek: I never expected to start one, just looking for a good place to sell. The city I'm close to has several farmers markets, but none close to the area I'm going to be selling in. So I'm sure it will be a busy place. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I've gone into past posts, as I know Jena is starting one, there is alot of great info there!

So I was wondering Jena, how your plans are progressing? Have you any tips for me?

Jackie

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jackie you're in Ontario, will this farmers' market be part of the FMO associated markets? You might want to consider it, they route govt. funding to famers' markets, and offer affordable group liability insurance. I'm the board chairman (OK the 04 board chair, we'll see about 05) for our local market so if you think I can help or would like a copy of our rules etc. let me know. Check out the FMO Farmers' Market Ontario website Click here

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Good for you! I've about given up as I can't find enough vendors to make it worthwhile.

Make sure there are no local laws you need to comply with...health department, any zoning problems (if you are in town).

Make rules to help avoid problems. Be sure you specify hours of operation and how early/late people can stay, assignment of spaces or at least how much room one person can take up, collection of fees, etc. There are some good examples of rules if you google.

Advertise. Put up flyers, whatever to let people know you are there. Check with your state to see if you can accept WIC vouchers or Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program vouchers. IF you can, get your paperwork done and help the other vendors do the same. Those vouchers bring in a lot of income.

Off the top of my head, with half a cup of coffee, that's all I can think of! Good Luck and have fun!

Jena

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Jena, sorry to hear its not working out for you. Thanks for the info, it's giving me a good start.

Ross, I PM'd you.