Jena's cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Wanda, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    Did you get the crazy cow loaded o.k., or did you change your mind :) I finally hauled my fat cow that thought sex was just for fun :eek: She was the oposite of yours, she laid down in the trailer and I had to wake her up when we got to the sale!!! I found out why she could eat so much hay, she wieghed 1505lbs. :eek: I could never get enough fat off of her to get her settled. She only had grass and minerals in grass season and hay and mineral in the winter. She was way beyond an ''easy keeper'' she was a nice cow but she was not a pet. Let us no how you did, mine only brought $40.25 but she would be a low dresser.
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

The cow is still in the pasture.

Bad day yesterday. I didn't even get to try to load her.

Another cow had a calf in the deep mud. Calf was stuck, cow couldn't even get up.

Got the four wheeler stuck in the mud. Feared getting the tractor stuck. Tow strap was just a hair too short to reach.

When confronted with this type of situation, I choose not to fight it. I removed my boots, my pants, went in after them. Why wear boots that will be lost anyways? Skin sheds mud better than jeans.

Have you ever wallowed in the mud, in your underwear, with a really good, but stupid cow?

Got them out, up, calf dried off and nursing. Gave it a scours bolus because he's just got to get scours from being in all that mud (we know what mud is really made of near a feed bunk, don't we?)

Hosed myself off, put my pants back on, stunk really bad the rest of the day :)

Then it was chicken loading day. They are going to the processor this morning. Loading chickens is way worse than loading cattle. Pick up each one, carry it to the trailer, put it in the cage. Do over 300 times.

I will try again next week :)

Jena

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    My cows usualy go to the timber to calve so I dont worry much about mud. Sometimes you just have to get a problem over with :eek: Do you send your chickens to Arthur to be processed or do you have someone closer? Did you ever decide on your trailer freezer? There is a place in the country at Arthur that has a bunch of used truck mount ones. I think they must rebuild them as many as they have! If you are wanting to go a little cheaper rouute you might give them a try.
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

4. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

Mud season, what fun! I think my best was slipping on some ice under a foot of 'soup' while carrying a calf. I ended up on my back with an eighty pound comatose calf laying on my chest.

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jena, it may have been a complicated day but it sounds like you won. Any time you save a cow and calf in one day, it's a good day. I've been caught in some interesting attire or lack of interesting attire :eek:

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I take the chickens to Arthur. I know the place you are talking about with all the truck bodies everywhere. I don't know what they do with them all, but I didn't have time to stop today.

I made my husband go with me to pick up the finished chickens. He's starting to see that a trailer freezer of some kind is needed. I'm still undecided on which way to go, but I got to convince him first :)

Jena

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jena.. You didn't have to convince him to let you wade in after that calf did you. The mud bog opperation you pulled off is way far beyond the norm.