Jelous Buck?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamasaanan, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Today I thought I was going into the pen with my two bucks to retreive some feed bins. I don't think I'll be doing that again.

Eddie, my junior buck, must have thought I was his little goat dream come true, because the next thing I know, he's behind me, exhibiting all sorts of masculine mating behavior. I rapped him on the head with the golf club I keep in hand for that very sort of thing. Only it did little to curb his enthusiasm. Anyway, I got my back to the fence, my front to Eddie, golf club in hand in case he tries anything again and started making my way out of the pen. Up trots, Thibadeaux, my senior buck. He gets between me and Eddie like a jelous boyfriend. I guess Tibby thought Eddie was getting a bit to close, next thing I know, Tibby shoves me into the fence and proceeds to whale the tar out of Eddie while I made a quick exit.

Is this normal, or do I have some sort of strange goat. I'm not even sure what made Eddie decide I was in the mood. I'm menopausal so I know it wasn't because I had my period or anything. Could it be some odd hormal thing that he could smell but no one else could?

Gee, my honor has been defended by a 250 pound Saanen buck. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or not. Or maybe I should let him run free in the yard as a guard goat?

Anyway, I think Shady Hills Eddie Haskel is going on the market. He's got papers running out his little goat ears, but obviously breeding does not count for intelligence.

2. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

My buck did something pretty similar. I went outside one afternoon to find a strange buck in my yard. I couldn't believe it. My buck was on my front lawn on a swivel cable. When the stray buck lowered his head at me, my buck got really ----ed an lit into him. I think there is a sense of ownership the dominant bucks have over their people. My buck has never tried to mount people or anything but he still thinks we are his property.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Your Eddie sounds like a normal young guy who has never been taught any manners. I don't think I'd send him off just yet, if you like his lines. How old is he? It's not too tough to teach a buck to respect you, but you won't do it with a golf club, or any other physical strength contest. That's just a challenge, and one a good-sized buck will win. I hear spraying with a dilute ammonia water solution in the face works well. A guy I knew used a spray of urine (from a bottle). He said his buck thought he must be a VERY big guy to manage that, and let him alone. I just teach mine when they're young that I am to be respected. But then, mine only get to 120 pounds or so. I might have to resort to spraying a big guy.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

NEVER turn your back on any animal. You just don't know what they are going to do. DH was knocked down by our Suffolk ram one time and I almost was. Our buck is most scared of a squirt bottle of water but any thing to distract him will do.