Jeffer's Pet supplies & dog beds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Apr 12, 2005.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Got a Jeffer's catalog today begging me to spend $. Couldn't find much of interst to me while flipping through, too tired to do anything else tonight. I decided that some people have way to much $ and nothing else to spend it on. My vote for most ridiculous:

"These interactive plush dog toys will keep your pet occupied and eliminate boredom for hours, while developing higher intelligence and puzzle solving skills. Just insert the loose shapes and watch as your pet enjoys trying to remove them time andd time again."

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produ...QHTP9XDGC1U9NPWK6X9FHP9Q1TT237A&pf_id=0029234

This one is my runner up at $3 a can for lion food:

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=RQHTP9XDGC1U9NPWK6X9FHP9Q1TT237A&pf_id=253

My vote for most entertaining:

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=RQHTP9XDGC1U9NPWK6X9FHP9Q1TT237A&pf_id=2489

Ok, but what I'm REALLY looking for a is a good dog bed that doesn't cost a fortune. One that has foam for those old doggy joints, cedar to keep it smelling good (old dogs smell), washable cover. If it can wash the dogs too, that would be an added bonus. Since I haven't even found a decent dog bed that meets the first conditions, I doubt I'll find the last. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering breaking out a sewing machine but that would take precious time.

2. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I say make your own. You don't really need a pattern. I'd put the cedar in a muslin 'pillowcase' of sorts, and change it out when the smell starts to fade. For the bed cover, I'd use something strong like corduroy or denim, and add a zipper or snaps so you can change it out.

3. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

No comment on the stuff for little people in fur coats, LOL! It boggles my mind what people spend on perfectly useless or idiotic stuff for their pets.

As for the dog bed, a pretty simple way to make one fit for an old dog is to take an old blanket or quilt, make it into a big "pillow case", fill it with shipping peanuts and cedar chips, and close it up. Sew a cover for it out of any nice, sturdy, washable fabric. Ta-dah. My geriatric Dane loves hers.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I find dog beds at Costco occasionally for $15. They're big, round, and smell like cedar. I'm pretty sure the filling is just batting. The cover is removable. They last a good long time, too - mine are going on 4 years now.

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Crib mattresses from walmart are cheap - a small bottle of cedar essential oil on the sheets and you're all set.
    For my small dogs, I bought one of those egg crate mattress pads, and cut it into shapes that fit ordinary pillow cases. When one of our senior dogs became incontinent, all I had to so was buy one of those 99 cent plastic pillow covers to make it easy to wash.

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Why get fancy? My corgi lays on his old folded up blanket...usually on his back leaning on the wall! Looks comfy to me and he chooses to go there...used to put himself in his crate when we went to bed until he got kinda too porky!!! DEE

7. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I found an old, with no rips, sleeping bag works well. Washable too. I cut mine in half, sewed up the cut side and used it for my 2 dogs until I got a puppy who chewed them both up. Now I use cotton throw rugs. I can just shake them out. Easier to wash with all the mud here. Reminds me of nappy time in kindergarten with everyone on his little mat. :D

8. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, well, I'm "doting" but still "practical." Will admit to purchasing dog beds for my mud-room bird dogs (as opposed to my yard bird dogs). I'm pleased with the latest one I found at petshed.com. It's big enough for my two old pointers, and the cover is woven nylon, I think. Anyway, it's suitable for outside, even though I use it inside. I never wash it--just take it outside and shake it out. I love it.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

LOL!! I've had a Jeffers catalog sitting around here for a while, and finally got around to looking at it this morning. I had to show my grandmother the cat stuff! She thinks she pampers her cats -- she lets them in the house! We both had a good laugh at the heated litter box!

Kathleen

10. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

My dog has a really nice bed with a 'blanket' attached so he can cuddle into it when he gets cold. (it's like a little cave) He usually doesn't sleep on it, and sneaks off onto the couch when we're asleep.

11. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

aN OLD COUCH CUSHION MAKES A LOVELY doggie bed. They are generally solid firm foam, 3 to 4 inches thick. I keep one in the car so Miss Lovely can gaze out the window in comfort--boosts her up just a little.

Goodwill has scads of stuffed animals. I look for the ones meant for very young children--no plastic eyes, no ground corn cob stuffing, nothing sharp. These cost $2-3, and make fun toss and pull toys, and last about as long as the sturdy $10 variety found in pet stores.

People who raise pigs invest in super sized heating mats for the baby piggies. My neighbor has one he got from a pig farmer friend--it acquired some defect or other than made it unsafe for piggies, but was GREAT for his old arthritic dog. If you have pig farmer friends, check it out, and maybe pick up one that is used.

12. longshadowfarms

The current favorite bed is 1/2 an old foam bunk bed mattress. The other half has been destroyed already. The problem with foam is that with wet, muddy Labradors, it gets really smelly. I have a huge stash of egg crate foam in the attic waiting for me to get energetic enough to attempt such a project. The best way I can think to do this is in 3 layers but that's a lot of work! One layer of foam with a waterproof cover. Another layer of cedar with a breathable cover. 3rd cover to go around the other two should be comfortable but durable and washable. I have one cover that was a blanket that works great. Wish I could find another blanket like that. I just sewed up 2 sides and it fit perfectly. I'm thinking there has to be an easier plan. I bought new dog beds after Christmas and already the outer covers are torn and the inner bedding is getting stinky. I'm so tired of dog beds that don't last. These are big, dirty dogs (85, 95 and 105 lbs). It also doesn't help that I'm miles from any shopping centers - no Costco within an hour's drive that I know of. Our Pyr's bed is a lot easier - old foam couch cushions with straw and cedar chips sprinkled on top. Just refresh the straw and cedar as needed. That would be rather messy in the house though. :rolleyes:

13. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Petshed is awesome, i get most of my stuff there! There are a lot of good ideas here and think I'll use some. I just have some old pillows right now in the mud room with pillow cases on them. I pull the pillow cases off and wash them along with the pillows in hot water and bleach periodically. But some of these other beds sound better. I have an old dog who is getting arthritis and is starting to have a little limp. I've put him on glucosamine and condrotin (cheap chewy tabs) and he thinks it's a treat

14. longshadowfarms

Nette, I went to Petshed.com this morning but can't find any beds listed. Did I miss something or perhaps they aren't carrying them any longer?

Minnikin, how long does the essential oil last and do you think it repels fleas as well as regular cedar chips?

15. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I have to admit to being indulgent with my pets. :eek: I bought my older boxer a featherbed from QVC with a nice heavy duty denim cover that has held up through the years. One of the best investments I have ever made in a pet bed. My boxer lived her last arthritic years in comfort and my other dogs now race to be the first one to the feather bed. The denim cover comes off and washes well and I air the feather bed occasionally. The bed keeps it shape and still looks great after 4 years of constant use from my big dogs.

16. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I water down the essential oil in a spray bottle and give a spritz about every 2 weeks in the warmer months - to coinside with the life cycle of the flea.
    I think the oil works about the same as the chips, maybe a little better because it's always "fresh".

17. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter