JD mower problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SW Ohio, Jul 5, 2005.

1. SW Ohio

SW Ohio Well-Known Member

John Deer 111: Just got it back from the shop after an expensive fix on belts and pulleys and half way through cutting the grass I stopped to pick up trash by the road. Lifted the deck and got off the mower but forgot to disengage PTO so it shut off.

Now it wont start or even crank. Sometimes I hear a click but that is it. Is there a short in the safety switch? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Brian.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Most of the time a "click" is from the solenoid trying to send current to the starter. The starter won't turn because the battery is low. Try jumping the mower to see if it starts. If it starts, get a new battery.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I would check the battery and the connections first. Do you have a voltmeter? Check voltage across the battery terminals, then observe the voltage reading while trying to start. If the voltage drops very low when trying to start you have a discharged battery.

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

like said above check the battery and connections,
    play with the shifter make sure the neutral safety is working

you can unplug the seat safety, to see if it is malfuncting.

5. SW Ohio

Thanks for the fast replies.

If I unplug the seat safety will it disengage the safety and act as though I am sitting in the seat?

I have been lifting and lowering the deck, toggling the PTO on and off, taking it in and out of gear, and bouncing in the seat but the mower won't turn over.

It started right up with no hesitation prior to my getting off with it running to pick up the trash. Now nothing, just sometimes a single click.

I'll try jumping it but have no voltmeter.

Thanks again.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Throwing a jumper cable on such a tiny battery and then to car battery is very dangerous, melt down can occure when the sureriour amperage is introduced. Melt down can also become an explosion, its much safer to just recharge the battery overnight with a trickle charger.

7. SW Ohio

Good advice.

I'll pull the battery and put it on a charger instead of jumping it from the other mower.

8. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

1) Turn on the lights. If the lights seem dim then the battery is bad. If the lights seem bright then the battery is probably OK.

2) If the light switch is separate from the ingition switch leave the lights on and try to start the engine. When you hear the "click" if the lights dim then the starter is stalled, if they do not dim then:
    a) the starter solenoid contacts are burned
    b) the wiring from the solenoid to the starter is loose or dirty
    c) the starter is open or the brushes are on a dead spot.

3) If the later is the case then try tapping LIGHTLY on the solenoid and the starter and see if it will then start.

This is the proceedure I follow when my old Ford won't start.