JD 4020 Winter Question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by BJ, Dec 22, 2004.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We have a late model John Deere 4020, diesel. Temps are dropping to below freezing almost every night now here in Missouri. Should I leave my block heater plugged in every night? Or...just plug it in for a couple hours before I want to use the tractor? I can't find any specific instructions in the operator's manual.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Block heaters consume a lot of electricity! Being very conservative myself, I would install a timer and turn the heater on a couple of hours prior to my needing to start the tractor. You do know that you own one, if not the best, of the John Deere tractors ever made? :)

3. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Yes...for sure it is the best! I put a new JD front-loader on it and there isn't any task it can't handle. I spent about a year repairing, replacing & painting...now it's just like new and will be something I'll pass on to my son. It is an awesome machine! :D

4. opus

opus Well-Known Member

A 4020, I would take one of them over any of the new JD junk we have. You have one of the greatest (and few) JD accomplishments. That thing is worth more now than in the 60's or 70's.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Personally I leave one tractor plugged in 24/7 so I know one will start, to feed sheep or move snow. I guess I just make tractor starting a higher priority, but I do have a business here and two aging parents.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........I'll be in the market sometime late in the summer , after I sell my place . Not being overly familiar with JD , can you give me the "Particulars" , i.e. HP , Value range w\FE loader , weight , engine size\# of cylinders . Can it be towed on with a tongue pull trailer with 2-7k axles w\brakes , by a f250 ,PSD p\up , thanks , fordy.. :)

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I put mine on a timer on at 5 AM off at 7 am then on agin in the late afternoon just incase.

mikelll

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Found one on Google , thanks , fordy.. :)

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Just plug it in for an hour or 2 before you want to use it.

Frankly, I don't plug it in until the high is about 25.... My little diesel starts on it's own down to 5 degrees. Need to have a clean fuel filter, right fuel & additives, and the right oil to make that happen.

As the others say, leaving it plugged in will use a lot of electricity, and not having it plugged in means it might not be available _right_ away. The tractor itself doesn't really care. :)

--->Paul