JC Whitney

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ed Norman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Long ago in my youth I ordered from JC Whitney. I was deluged with catalogs, and they even managed to find me each time I moved. Then I went years without seeing one. Recently a new catalog showed up. They have a few things I need to replace on my pickup, but I don't know if they are good to deal with or not. Any opinions?

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Purchased a steering stabilizer last year.No problems whatsoever,and they have a full online catalog in PDF you can save to your computer.

BooBoo

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
  4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

i havent ordered anything in the last year or so... but they have always been fair.... shipping can ding us here sometimes.... but they are still less spendy than the local parts store..... but we only have NAPA here.... gotta travel 30 miles one way or 70 miles another to get to a different store so it works out on shipping costs most of the time.....

I have been getting emails from signing up online... nuthin impressive as far as discounts.... but that would be normal

William

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

whatever I have ordered from there, came promptly and wasnt junk, as I thought it might be.
    Buy once, if you get bad deal, use the catalogs as firestarters.

6. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I haen't had any bad experiences with them in the more than 30 years I've dealt with them. Like anything else bought from a catalog or online, you do have to watch what you're buying.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Prices on some stuff is higher than AutoZone local stores. Quality is good and they offer some stuff other parts stores dont have.

They have a full online catalog and search engine. Lot suspension and other mundane replacement parts available online that arent included in catalog. Sometimes takes some looking to find things. If you have printed catalog and find something you want, easiest to enter catalog item number in online search rather than trying to find it on website directly.

Oh, and if you subscribe to email newsletter, they offer short term shipping bargains. One that just ended offered free shipping with $75 order. Thats a good deal. Paper catalogs usually only offer such deals if you order couple hundred dollars worth of stuff.

Be aware that even if you dont have an AutoZone in your area, it also has website catalog and you can order online and they will ups it to you. Sometimes even if you have a local AutoZone, its easier to order something from online site rather than drive to physical store and place a special order for something they dont have in stock, then have to drive back to store to pick it up.

There was another online auto parts store out of NY that I liked since they had good deals on parts for old Volvos, but last time dealing with them was a nightmare so not even going to mention their name. Whatever specific part you are looking for, check around, prices can vary widely. Couple times I even found best deal at local NAPA. Imagine that.