Jason's Offspring

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dosthouhavemilk, Dec 27, 2005.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Jason was our "clean-up bull" this past year. He was born to Ilse (Norwegian Red sire, Jersey dam) on December 7th, 2003.
    Here is a photo of Jason in September of 2004. He was nine months old in this picture and it is right before he settled Frida. Jason was out of Jace (7J535-Jersey) and Ilse (1/2 Norwegian Red, 1/2 Jersey), which made him 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 Norwegian Red.
    [​IMG]
    He settled 13 or 14 heifers and cows. 12 or 13 of our animals and MerriBelle (Tracey in NE Kansas).
    The following has who the calf was out of with their breeding in () and also the calves gender and name is given one. MerriBelle was a family milk cow I placed in a new home from the farm I work at. She was to be culled for not settling back. First calf heifer. I knew it was because she had long heat cycles and they just weren't catching them right. I sold her and brought home to run with Jason. Sure enough he settled her first time she came into heat. She went to her new home in Kansas back in April.
    The following pictures were all taken within the first two weeks of life unless otherwise noted.

His first offspring, a heifer, was born to Frida (3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) on 6/27/05. She has been named Argos.
    [​IMG]

His next calf was a bull calf born to Gadget (Jersey) on 6/30/05. Unfortunately, she never cared for him for some reason and he was discovered dead three days after his birth.

Belaphron was born to Juness(3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) on 7/12/05.
    [​IMG]

A heifer calf was born to Dagmar (3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) on 7/19/05. She died of unknown causes out in the field 2 days after her birth (I did see her alive one morning but was late for work).

Crucible (Jersey) calved 7/27/05 with a heifer calf. We thought she was settled to an AI date but having seen the calf turn brindle before winter we now believe she settled to Jason. Charlotte is probably out of Jason.
    [​IMG]

Freya (3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) gave birth to a heifer calf on 8/13/05. She has been named Circe.
    [​IMG]

Mamba (Jersey) gave birth to a bull calf on 8/20/05.
    [​IMG]

Wont (Jersey) gave birth to a bull calf on 8/24/05.
    [​IMG]

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

MerriBelle (Jersey-Tracey's in Kansas) gave birth to a heifer out of Jason at her new home on 8/30/05. She has been named Meredith by Tracey. This is her at three months old.
    [​IMG]

Loren (Jersey) gave birth to a bull calf on 9/8/05.
    [​IMG]

Essie (3/4 Jersey,1/4 N.R.) gave birth to a heifer on 9/15/05. Her name will begin with "D" but has not been named yet.
    [​IMG]

Libertad (Jersey) gave birth to a bull calf on 11/15/05. this is a picture of him at one month old.
    [​IMG]

Elisif(3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) gave birth to a heifer on 12/16/05. She has been named Electra.
    [​IMG]

Carina (3/4 Jersey, 1/4 N.R.) gave birth to Jason's last offspring (a bull calf) on 12/24/05.
    [​IMG]

Final tally (with Charlotte included)~8 heifer calves and 6 bull calves

Apparently you can have too many pictures in one response.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

That is a fine crop of calves and well worth the wait for all the pics to download! (can ya tell I'm on dialup?!)

What a shame you couldn't sell Jason as a bull :( ... looks like he did a fine job! (Oh, if only I lived closer!) But it looks like his genetics will be around for awhile!

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

They sure are beautiful!

We haven't been down to see Nick & Celeste for a while, but we talked on the phone and it sounds like the cows they got from you are doing very well. Glad you guys were able to work out a deal. We've always liked the way they care for their animals, and it's good to know your girls found a good home.

Lynda