Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question but- is there a way to open canned food without splashing it everywhere? I've only done thick products in previous years and never realized it would be so hard to open sauces and such without making a mess on my counter and shirt !

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Leave the jar sitting on the counter. Take the end of a spoon, or a butter knife or something, and use it to pry between the top thread of the jar and the metal lid... Keep a hand on the lid so it doesn't go flying..

Reactions: siletz

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
You can also use an old beverage bottle opener to gently pry up the lid. Once you get a little air going in, stop for a moment to let the pressure equalize. Warning: using a bottle opener can compromise the integrity of the lid...so if you intend to reuse your lids (not that I'm saying you should), you may want to practice more with simi's method.

Reactions: handymama

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I've been using the spoon method but keep making huge messes:( I have enough used lids for my storage supply so I'll try the opener, Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use a Zyliss 5 in 1 jar opener. I've found I get less mess with my tattler lids than with traditional lids. I think it might be because they flex less.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Slowly, I am not being a smarty. I found if you put a opener under the lip of the lid and turn sideways (kinda clockwise), not like you would if you were opening a bottle, go slowly, as soon as you hear a hiss, stop for a few seconds, then finish taking the lid off. Also, put a towel over the lid will help with spills.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I love the old fashioned "church key" openers. It may be the same old fashioned bottle opener Chixarecute is talking about. I gently lift up in several places and it will let go, hiss and no mess! Keeps the lid in pretty good shape. You can just yarn it open with them too and no mess (as DH does, mangling the lid!).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Slowly, I am not being a smarty. I found if you put a opener under the lip of the lid and turn sideways (kinda clockwise), not like you would if you were opening a bottle, go slowly, as soon as you hear a hiss, stop for a few seconds, then finish taking the lid off. Also, put a towel over the lid will help with spills.

Not smartassey (sp?) at all, I think this is my main problem! I'm always in a hurry at 5 pm!!!

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Leave the jar sitting on the counter. Take the end of a spoon, or a butter knife or something, and use it to pry between the top thread of the jar and the metal lid... Keep a hand on the lid so it doesn't go flying..
Why not use a jar opener - it's the other side of a "church key". That's what they are made for.

edited: I see that's already been answered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts