Japenese beetle infestation

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Faith Farm, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

My cherry, apple and peach trees are under serious attack from
    Japenese beetles. I do not like to spray chemicals on anything
    so I tried my Texas Pete mixed with water treatment, 1 quart to
    12 gallons of water. Although it works well on tomatoes it doesn't
    affect the beetles. Does anyone have an inexpensive organic solution?
    Paul

2. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

We put up the traps. They have a scent (sexual) that attracts the beetles. You hang a bag on a pole with a hook attach the scent thingie and the beetles fall down into the bag (plastic, funnel shape opening) and they can't fly out. Change the bag (I just empty mine because they are not cheap) every day because they stink when they die. I get cheap ziplock bags and empty them into there and throw them in the garbage. Key is hang them at LEAST 20-30 feet from the plants you are protecting otherwise you just calling them in to eat your plants. I always thought you hung them next to the plant until I found out you will attract them in for a meal.

3. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

Japanese beetles are killed by milky spore in the larval stage in the ground. Spray your ground around the orchard and the infestation will be a lot smaller next year. I did it several years ago and really cut down on the problem. I just this year am seeing more again. I feel the traps just draw more. Although I beleive I read in organic gardening once that they don't travel far.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh they travel! lol
    I think it is about a mile for their range which is why milky spore is only effective if your land is the land with the grubs, if the grubs are in your neighbours lawn it won't matter how often you apply milky spore to your lawn. One application is supposed to be enough as it multiplies each time a grub is killed.
    We don't have many grubs but this is turning out to be a really bad year for beetles. I go around in the morning knocking them into a bucket or soapy water. It seems that a plant with beetles on it attracts more beetles, so the more often you knock them off the plant (preferably killing them at the same time) the fewer beetles will infest that plant. Even so I am considering using traps for the first time ever.

5. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes they do travel and you will attract some of your neighbors this is not much of a problem if your neighbors are not close. I try to get my neighbors to put out traps also that way I am not catching "their" beetles. I also have read that one year will be bad for them and the nest year you will see very few. I don't know if that is true but it has been for me. Last year I saw very few and didn't even have to use my traps. This year we have a real problem with them.

6. Faith Farm

Last year I used the bags which did work well but
    they are expensive. Milky spore is something I am
    not familiar with. I will ask @ the farmers co op feed
    store in town.Thanks for the help.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

The last few years we haven't had much trouble, but I'm sort of hoping for some this year...I figure the chickens will love 'em! Although, I've read that too many will cause the eggs to taste weird.

In years that we HAVE had lots of them...I carried around a jar of soapy water and knocked them in there with my hand. I found it very satisfying!

8. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

Holy Cow. there were literally thousands in our yard and garden today. We swatted them into soapy water buckets, squished them between our fingers, and put out the bag traps. We even tried spraying the plants with a soapy water solution, but I dont think it helped much. We'll go out again in the morning. On another note, is it wrong to derive a certain sick pleasure out of sending them into the bucket in the middle of a gang pile love fest? Bob

9. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

If it IS wrong, I am one sick puppy!

10. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

I dont know of anything that works on jap beetles other than milky spore, and like others have said it only works if there are no other yards or areas infested. They do travel. The one thing i have found that works is sevin dust mixed into water and sprayed. As far as I am concerned, its a issue of what you want more. Your crop and plants or fight a losing battle to have less chemicals.
    Going by the MSDS data sheet, you would have to eat several pounds of sevin dust to even hurt you. IF the taste doesn't stop you the dry powder will.
    Now to translate that to spraying, you won't get enough sevin on your plants to even come within a fraction of the danger of eating several pounds AND, since the chemical is not systemic, it won't go into the plant itself. Plus it become inert in a few days after spraying as well as, every time you water or when it rains, the dust is washed off of your plant.

Its probably one of the best products around to control jap beetles! Remember that you only use it when the beetles become enough of a problem to cost you more in loss. Since the beetles usually only last around a month or so before they go lay eggs, the more you kill the less you have the next year.

11. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I was just boasting yesterday about how they were not bad at all this year :bash:
    After the rain we've had here this week, today they are out in full force. More than I've seen in years.
    I almost suspect they were intentionally put here so someone would get rich selling those expensive traps...lol

12. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Uh-oh. I've been telling my sister, in GA (She's just having a time with them.), that they weren't too bad here. It finally rained here last night, too. I think I'm about to be in trouble!

13. Faith Farm

I took your advice SKRUZICH and bought 7 in
    liquid concentrate form. I am not happy about
    applying chemicals but the alternative is weak
    fruit trees and possibly dead ones in a few years.
    This morning their out in force but I will terminate
    the infestation problem. Thanks to all.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate Sevin Dust. Getting lots of pressure from hubby and our neighbor to use it, but I will stand firm. Once sprinkled Sevin Dust on the carport because we were being over run by some type of worm. My 13-year-old son stepped out the door and in less than five minutes he was in full anaphylactic shock. It took me eight minutes to get him to the E.R. and he had stopped breathing by the time we got there. His lungs were 90 percent full of fluid and he swelled so badly that his lips and the soles of his feet cracked open. I will never, ever own another bag of Sevin Dust.

My mom had discovered that going to the garden early in the morning is the best time to pick off the Japanese beetles. She said they're still damp from the dew and don't try to fly away like they do later in the day. She just wipes them off the leaves into a jar of soapy water.

I'm another sick puppy...I get great pleasure in feeding the hornworms from my tomatoes to my chickens.

15. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

We caved in last night. After two days of hand picking, squishing, and even paying a friends 7 yr old .05 a beetle for every one he brought out of the garden in his soapy water bucket, we gave up and used the powder mill, and coated it all with Sevin-5. We still have the bags outside the garden, and they're catching a pile, the garden was almost vacant today. However, no matter where in the yard I see them doing the nasty, they get killed on the spot. I figure if I kill momma now, its a thousand I won't have to kill next year.
    That being said, if one of my kids was allergic, I wouldn't use it either. Just my .02 Bob

16. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Last year the beetles ate my hazelnuts to stubs, so I was watching for them this year.

I've found just a handfull on the nuts bushes, and have been wondering what happened. I found them yesterday. They really, really prefer the rhubarb! I've found an occasional one here, there and yonder, but the rhubarb is covered. So, I turned 8 half-grown muscovies into the garden today. they get to live there for a month or so!

Yep, they have water, and a quicky shelter, and other feed, but they'd rather chase bugs!

Meg

17. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

we let the birds out on the lawn in the spring... just as things are starting to grown and before we plant the garden. The birds tear thru the dead grass and eat most of the grubs before they become problems. We also do a big clean on the coup while they are outside. Once we plant the gardens, the birds go home to a clean coup, their back run is green and ready for them and we don't have much of a problem. When the gardens are established, we let out the old hens and they keep the worms off the cabbages and beatles out of the roses without wrecking anything...

best pest control around :)

When I lived in the city, folks had their yards dethatched and aerated... dug little plugs into it... was supposed to make the grass grow stronger, but what it really did was disturb the nesting places of beatles and grasshoppers so they couldn't mature.
    Try keeping the grass away from your trees and gardens, we use to use bird netting before the chickens and it worked ok on the gardens...

hope things work for you

18. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

I too gave in last week and bought some Sevin dust. It sure made quick work of the pests.
    Like someone said earlier the dust washes off and becomes in active after a while so you
    have to reapply it, something I learned only after the bugs came back.

19. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

So far I've been having good luck with Pyola from Gardens Alive. I've sprayed twice already, and knock on wood, I haven't seen anything except for a few holes. You only need about a teaspoon or two per quart and spray every other week.

20. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

do the traps REALLY work? do they do anything to the bugs in terms of chemicals? my chickens love the things and aren't laying yet so taste in eggs doesn't matter. I'm not finding it easy to knock them in a jar to feed the chickens, seems I miss more than I catch. maybe I'll try it in the morning with the dew on them thing.