Japanese Beetles!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, May 29, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Every year my grapes are DESTROYED by Japanese Beetles. You guys have any tips for safely and effectively repelling them? I don't want to dust with chemicals but I'll try anything else.
    I've made many trips to try to "pick" them off. Unfortunately we're talking hundreds of them and they're too high off the ground (I made the arbor too high) to easily reach.

2. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Mike: If you have a Japanese Beetle Trap anywhere within the area, move it far away! If you don't, check to see if any neighbors do. I had a problem with those bugs on my roses one year, and it only got worse when we hung beetle traps, because we drew every Japanese beetle from here to Japan to our land! I hope someone can tell you what you can plant to deter them. I really can't help you there. Best of luck!
    - Kathy

3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I thought the traps worked well when I lived in PA. Sometimes they'd get full in just one day.

4. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I recommend asphalt.
    I tried everything except the 'milky spore', nothing works.
    My orchard is a lost cause, no grapes, plums, apples, nectarines, cherries, nothing!
    I've though if I had a trap suspended over a fishpond...hmmm...

5. Mike in Pa

I've never had them catch much ... definately some though. We tried putting it downwind of the plants too but the plants still were basically destroyed.
    I figured upwind, although it would attract the beetles already on the grapes, would attract them in line with the grapes and might backfire.

Either way, I'm still looking for something more effective.

If the birds we just a bit smarter ... they'd be too fat to fly! Perch on the arbor ... poop all they want ...just kill the dang bugs!!!

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I was using the older metal type traps. I don't know how good the newer types are.

Put them around your perimeter. If you put them in the garden, they'll just attract more beetles to your plants.

You might consider treating your lawn if you've got them as bad as they sound. That's where their larvae are.

7. Bill in Tn

Bill in Tn Active Member

I always hear these dire warnings about using traps. I keep four going as long as the beetle season lasts, emptying them twice a day. I suffer very little damage, and my poultry feed bill goes way down. When I let the guineas out, first thing in the morning, they follow me out to the orchard and I shake each tree. The beetles drop to the ground and the guineas gobble them down. I take the full jars to the chicken pen and empty them in a pan of water. Even baby chicks love them. Works for me.

8. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

The Japanese bag each cluster of grapes - they also bag each apple, near, peach etc., I used to think they were crazy, now I realize they had to deal with these blasted beetles before we had even heard of them! :p

9. Mike in Pa

Yeah, I do need guineas. MAybe I'll pick up some keets soon. They can help elsewhere too.

But for now ... come on ain't there an old foxfire trick for beetles?

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey Mike,

I have used a soap spray followed by an all natural bitter apple spray. I then used one of those traps that everyone says "NEVER USE", placed about 100 feet away from the grapes. It worked well for me.

I have also seen this stuff It's supposed to be all organic.

11. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Good luck to anyone fighting these invaders.
    I too tried the traps. They do work, but they also call in others that wouldn't normally have been there.
    Heres my horror story.
    I redesigned the beetle trap.
    Take the plastic louvres & afix them inside a large funnel. Hot glue the top of a 3 litre soda bottle to the narrow end of the funnel. Screw on an empty bottle.
    Poke holes in the bottom to let any rain out or you'll regret it.
    Bait & suspend this thing. When full just screw on a cap & toss in the trash.
    I weighed a few bottles worth of bugs year before last. If the average ran true for the season, I hauled away over 250 pounds of bugs!
    My ducks ate so many that it killed the ducks.
    Prepare to hear Banzai.
    I still recommend asphalt, pave your orchard over.
    But good luck non the less.
    Lex

12. Mike in Pa

You guys have A LOT better results with traps! I only got an inch or two in mine. There's over 100 at a time on my grapes though at times.

Thanks Bob ... I'll try the concoction ... I just don't want to effect the taste of the grapes though.

13. green5acres

green5acres Well-Known Member

i just fastened old sheer curtains with clothespins over my grapevines, dont know if will work this year, nothing else has. i am trying to figure out how to do it with the peach trees.

14. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

I had a horrible problem with them and grasshoppers, and crickets you couldn't be outside without the grasshoppers jumping on you and the flowers were all distroyed by the beeles... then the chicken coup door was broke in a wind storm and the birds became free range chickens. After the first summer with them on the lawn, there weren't so many bugs, the second summer, I let them out on purpose - no bugs in the garden, a few grasshoppers in the front yard but not so bad that you couldn't play outside.

I keep a small flock of laying hens and they lay a great deep yellow yolk egg when they eat bugs and such... and some creative use of bird netting keeps the garden producing too...

good luck

15. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

1) 2or 3 times a day you can spray them off with a hose 2) hand pick them off 3) spray them with Diatech V ( you can order it by calling 800-227-6616) It is the only OMRI approved thing that will kill anything bad.4) if you use traps hang them 60 feet away from vines and not near anything else they like such as roses.

16. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Neem spray will repel them. I bought it at Lowe's. I have heard of some folks covering each grape bunch with nylon net or a section of old pantyhose. Might work if you have time and patience.

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We had quite a problem with japanese beetles, but I decided to take the long way to removal and got the milky spore.

It's been two seasons since I applied it, and the numbers have dropped DRAMATICALLY! I only saw one or two last year, and I think those were from the neighbor's yard. Milky spore builds up in the soil, so it actually works better as time goes on.

Love the stuff, can't say enough good about it. (If you have moles, though, your problem may get worse before it gets better, because as the grubs die off, the moles look harder and dig more while seeking food.)

Pony!