Japanese Beetles

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by almostthere, Apr 25, 2006.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We have these invade our yard every year. Yesterday a kind neighbor came over and showed just which plants they were after. She said, there is a vine on my fence that is attracting them. I spent the better half of the evening ripping it out. Its not a tree, or flowering vine, or a fruit vine, its just a weed I guess. But my question is, do these beetles "go after" anything else I can get rid of? I also have grape vines growing right there, that never survive the Beetle attacks. I don't know which variety, the previous owners planted it(more than 10 yrs ago) and we have been fighting the beetles ever since.

2. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

3. almostthere

I have some climbing vine roses on the other fence. I'm not going to cut those if I don't have to. I guess the bettles haven't found them yet because that side of the fence isn't getting bothered.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

The biggest mistake you made was in removing that vine. That apparently was a super "trap" plant where you could kill the most beetles in the smallest area. Now they'll just spread out and sample a little of everything!

Martin

5. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's ID that vine. They sample almost everything I grow.
    They really like the blackberry vines tho.

Donnie-

6. almostthere

well that may be true. we'll have to see. I guess I'm to count myself lucky that this is the only thing they have attacked?

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They have preferred plants, but they will eat what ever is available. I doubt you can get them to leave by removing their favorites.

8. jadedhkr

jadedhkr Well-Known Member

I have a certain bush they like and attack with much gusto every year. I've found that by letting them flock to these bushes they actually don't bother my other plants as much. So I call it my sacraficial bush and let it go.
    Jenni

9. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

I know they can fly from anywhere, but I was so tired of them I put down milky spore on my yard and got 2 of my neighbors who had gardens to do it to. I barely have had any for 4 years now. I saw a few last year. Maybe we shoudl do it again. The population really dropped so I'm inclined to think they don't travel too far. I could be wrong but my roses are happier.

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Martin, that vine was a trap crop. They love my faerie roses. I don't mind because they come after they have bloomed, trim the bush and it comes back with a bang for a second bloom in the fall.

I just brush them off the bush into a large margarine container with water and a little oil. The oil keeps em from flying out. Chickens love eating them. I find the purple martins come in soon enough to eat the ones I miss. Why spray and kill all their predators? I have much less in my garden than my neighbor that sprays everything (just in case).

11. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

For three summers now I have hung one of those green and yellow plastic traps to the back (out of sight from the driveway and house) on my Nanking Cherry bush, not too far from the rose garden. I think it's best to put the trap out before they arrive so you capture the first ones. I believe you are going to have arrive as many as the larvae already in the soil. I give any I turn up to the chickens. I don't know if the hormone in the trap attracts more to my garden or not, but I sure do capture a lot. There are still beetles on the roses, though.

12. Paquebot

The use of a trap plant used to be more common but I don't doubt that there are trap plants for Japanese beetles. Many have long known that jimsonweed can be a trap crop for Colorado potato beetles. If you can collect them there instead of waiting for them to show up on the potato plants, no expensive insectides needed. Last year, I had a few Japanese beetles here for the first time ever. All of them were on a single large litchi tomato plant. Killed a dozen or so there and never saw another. Now have a few more litchi seedlings started to see if it happens again.

Martin

13. VA Backwoodsman

VA Backwoodsman Active Member

I tried 6 traps last year ina attempt to save my garden. They were located between 100-150 feet from the garden to try to lure them away but I don't think it slowed them down. After catching enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket, I just gave up. I think that I may try the milky spore treatment to see if that slows them down. Hopefully this year will be better!!

14. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

On the up side of Jap beatles one of their favorite plants after grapes and roses is the terribly invasive Purple Loosetrife.

15. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I hear the best place for those traps is in your neighbors yard :D

16. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

can you use the milky spore anytime? in other words, is it too late to use it right now?
    debbie

17. Paquebot

If you wanted to control Japanese beetles with milky spore, the time to do it was last year. It only works on them when they are in the larval or grub stage and still in your lawn.

www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/japbeet.html

Martin

18. almostthere

So using it now wont work? Bummer. Maybe I should put it down anyway, and then next year won't have that problem.

Is this what you were talking about? Is this a good brand? You can look up your state and it tells you what stores carry thier products.

www.milkyspore.com/milkyspore.htm

19. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I bought Milky spore and put it down 2 years ago. It's wonderful. We planted new ornamental fruit trees and various other plants in our yard (which is about 2 acres) and not a grub one! The white grubs are the larva of the japanese beetles. If you see white grubs, you're going to have beetles. I started to plant blueberry plants outside of my actual yard this year and found a couple of grubs so I've ordered more milky spore. According to the literature on it, the spores multiply and can kill grubs for years. I just need to widen the range of where I put it down so that it will kill them even into the pasture. The stuff is great! Be sure to shop for it online as I found it for $18.25 at Yardlover.com for the smaller container verses $26 at other places.

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Plant lots of four-o-clocks to get rid of Japanese beetles. Four-o-clocks are poisonous, but Japanese beetles are attracted to them. They eat the four-o-clocks and die. Easy solution.