Japanese Beetles in the garden!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mrs_stuart, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Anyone have any help for japanese beetles, they are in the rhubarb and on the hedges in the front and heading down to my peach tree and corn...anyone have any way to get rid of them without harsh chemicals? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Belinda

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I swat them into a margarine container 1/2 filled with water and a little oil. They can't fly when they get that oil on them. Then I feed them to the chickens for extra protein. Nontoxic, free (if you use your leftover frying oil this way) and feeds the chickens. Doesn't poison birds who like to eat JP's. Each year I see less and less.

3. Bill in Tn

Bill in Tn Active Member

I use traps. Some traps accept mason jars, and some take bags. I have some of both. Some people say you can use small garbage bags to save money. Iv'e not tried this, but it ought to work. You could use something like a napkin ring to narrow the neck of the bag so they can't fly back out. I just empty and re-use the bag that comes with the trap. I am always being warned against using traps because they will draw beetles from up to 2 miles away. But I figure that since these guys eat about anything, and since there always plenty of females around, why should they travel very far? Anyway, my chicken and guineas sure enjoy the beetle season. I put traps without bags in their pens, and pull up a lawn chair to watch the show.

4. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

I sprayed liquid form 7 today on my numerous fruit trees
    and bushes this morning while several thousand were swarming.
    By early evening only a handful flew by. I dislike using chemicals
    but the bags, Texas Pete mixed with h2o, soap and water were
    no match for these buggers. The concentrate called for 3 oz
    per gallon of water. I sprayed the trees from the top down and
    inside out of the ones I could reach or climb. Hopefully tomorrow
    no more beetles.

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Well, It is getting a bit better, I have 8 yo son out getting them into the bucket of sudsy water...i told him, i would pay him a penny a bug... he thinks he is getting rich. lol I has gotten about 2 hundren of the little buggers so far. Thanks.

Belinda