James Wringer Washer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by peacefullone, Jul 9, 2005.

1. peacefullone

peacefullone Member

Hi, I'm wondering how can I get a used James Wringer Washer? Besides ebay. Does anyone know maybe who makes them? I've heard that a Mennote family in USA makes them.

Thanks.

Holly

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The machines are available from Lehman's Hardware store out of Kidron, Ohio.

http://www.lehmans.com If you don't have one of their catalogues you owe it to yourself to order one for winter time entertainment if not for purchases.
    THey even have a homesteading forum site at http://www.countrylife.net as well as sponsoring some others http://gaelio.com/homesteadfriends/board.html
    On this last one there is even my mug shot when I used to post as greenbeanman.

Did you ever think about converting a cement mixer into a washing machine?
    It would be a front loader kind of like one of those Staber brand machines, except wouldn't spin out the water nor have a wringer. A wringer would have to be purchased seperately. The mixer could easily be powered by small gasoline engine or electric, or maybe even by a Savonius rotor powered by wind. http://www.ata.org.au/articles/70byosav.htm

If you should convert a mixer, you will need to remove the mixing paddles and install some that are less agressive. The bigger the mixer capacity, the bigger the load capacity.
    ====================
    Oops, I just reread your post and you asked about a USED machine. I'd still try Lehman's as they are very knowledgable folk and always willing to accomodate as best they can.

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I bought my wringer washer (the manual type) on Ebay. The guy was great to do business with. He even found a cheaper way to ship after the sale was made and sent me a refund of $33.00! I got burned on Ebay once, but have had many successful purchases from there. Is there a reason you don't want to use Ebay? Just curious.

4. peacefullone

peacefullone Member

I think ebay would be a wonderful place to get one, if I could find a good deal on one. Except I don't see any in my area on there except on that is outrageous price and looks aweful.

Yeah, a cement mixer might do really well as one. Thanks for the neat idea! We'll see if I can get one.

Holly

5. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Thought you might find this quote form Sustainable Village website interesting

James Hand Washer
    To most people, washing clothes by hand sounds like a ridiculous amount of work. Actually, with a James Washer, it's not that hard. The secret is letting the clothes soak in hot soapy water for a few hours first. Then just a few minutes of swishing the lever back and forth does a great job. You can wash a normal-size load and the sturdy design assures many years of clean clothes without wasting electricity. Holds 16 gallons, easy bottom drain valve, pine legs. The optional handwringer squeezes out 90% of the water. Stainless steel.

Also found out who makes em from another site: The company that makes these will sell directly to you. Contact S & H Metal Products Inc., 122 Redman Dr, Topeka, IN (219) 593-2565

6. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

If you get a James, shipping is no big deal. I'm in Wisconsin but got mine from a lady in Pennsylvania (I believe). A James washer with the legs removed fits into a small box that can be shipped UPS or by The US Postal Service really cheap. The freight on mine was about $22.00 five years ago. A James wieghs very little even with the wringer. Do a Google (or whatever) search for a James Washer. You''ll wade throuh tons of junk but could luck on an obscure posting somewhere for a used one for sale. It's how I got mine. It did take searching for a few months, though.
    Good luck!