Jalopenos

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fixer1958, Oct 12, 2006.

1. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Does anyone know how to make hot sauce with fresh peppers? I have about a thousand. Big mothers too. I dried and powdered them last year and I still have a ton. I would like to try green or red sauce.

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Sorry -- I don't have a recipe for hot sauce, but I do have a suggestion -- I pickle them! Use the same brine you use for dill pickles, but leave out the dill. You can slice them into rounds, pack the jars cold, and then cover with the boiling brine and seal -- they are AMAZING on burgers and sandwiches, in nachos, etc... I have a friend who eats them out of the jar. They are really, really good -- and you can use them in any recipe just like the fresh ones -- I even dice them and make spicy tuna sushi rolls with them!

You can also pop one in the jar when making dill pickles -- gives the dills a spicy zing that is to die for.

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know what to do with a sauce, but I make them into pesto. In fact that's what I'm doing this weekend.

Jalapeno Pesto

1/4 cup garlic (about 1 head)
    1 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cup pine nuts
    1 cup fresh cilantro
    6 jalapenos, roasted, seeded and diced
    1 cup veg oil
    1 teaspoon salt

Place garlic, Parmesan and pine nuts in food processor and puree. Add cilantro and jalpenos and puree until smooth.

With motor running, slowly add the oil. Add salt, scrape down and process again briefly.

From the Chile-Heads Recipe Collection

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I love macaroni and jalapeno peppers, sooooo gooood.
    A couple fresh green onions, sliced fine, diced jalapeno's, macaroni and mayonnaise. Yummy !

5. fixer1958

Anybody ever buy green tabasco? I was trying to recreate that. I hate the red stuff.

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Don't listen to these people!!!! Jalapenos are absolutely useless. Send them to me! :p

niki

7. fixer1958

I'd be happy to, but I think they are illegal in Arizona. Sorry!

8. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Just put the peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, and a dash of cumin and salt in a blender or food processor, whip up a bit (dont turn it to mush!)
    and now you have hot sauce! Use about a handful of all but the tomatoes, then you need a bowl full, and if you want you can pop that into canning jars and process like tomatoes. (you can taste test for hottness as you go, chips work well for the testing) To me it tastes better cooked. Also will last longer. Sometimes I just whip it up and throw in a big pot, bring to a simmer, turn off, put in a jar and there ya go! I can make about a gallon at a time, and it will last about 2 weeks (only if the kids stay out of it) in the fridge. Oh, and remember, the longer it sits, the hotter it gets! so if you start fire hot, it will finish by peeling the hide off your tongue :flame: hot... :dance: (too bad we dont have a fire breathing dragon smiley!)
    Best stuff since sliced bread!
    And dont forget jalopeno jelly!
    yum

9. connie in nm

connie in nm Well-Known Member

I make hot sauce all the time.

I take my fresh jalepeno's and boil them until they lose their bright green color. BTW, you can boil alot and then just stick them in the freezer whole and take out what you need each time throughout the year.

I boil about 6 depending on size, then cut off stem and put them whole in a food processor, add a large can of tomatoes, some garlic powder and comino (if you like it) and black pepper. I like mine pretty smooth, but you can do it chunkier if you like. You could add onion if you want. If you like it sweeter you can add a little tomato sauce.

Easy, quick and yummy! Keeps at least a week in the fridge - if it lasts that long!

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Blend in blender with a little salt and a little vinegar...but in oak barrels, age for a year or so, strain and fill bottles :) That's how Tabasco does it. If you ever get down to my old stomping grounds in South Louisiana, go to Avery Island, and you can tour the plant where tabasco has been made for over 100 years.

I guess you know you have to let the peppers ripen to red to make red sauce right?

Hugs
    Marlene

P.S. a little cajun secret...put any kind of hot pepper in a jar, for large ones you'll need to chop them, fill jar with vinegar (distilled white works well) In a week or so you can just use the season vinegar as hot sauce. If you have one of those olive oil bottles that you can pot the plastic top off to fill, then put back on for easy pouring - they work great.

11. lwj2

lwj2 Well-Known Member

Once, found it too mild and without any interesting flavour.

However, try making a pureé of jalapeños and adding white wine vinegar, a small quantity of water and sugar to taste. I'd pack in a Mason jar and refrigerate, then taste test in a week or two.

Removing the seeds and white matter before pureéing will lessen the heat. Leaving them in will increase.

12. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

Tracy Rimmer,
    Pickled Jalopenos sounds absolutely devine :dance: Maybe stuff them with garlic? Man now I'm getting hungry :rolleyes:

13. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Isnt tabasco made with cayenne peppers, not jalepeno?
    it is a different sort of hot...

14. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

You can freeze them whole. No blanching, just spread on cookie sheet till frozen then pop them into a baggy. Then use as you would fresh. I have hundreds of frozen peppers. You can make your sauce later.

15. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

if you like chunky instead of smooth, use a meat grinder instead of a blender in any of the above recipes. my grinder has four plates with different sized holes for a choice of textures.

pax
    t.f.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Nope, tabasco is made with tabasco peppers :) But seriously, I know what you mean, but McIlhenny does make the jalepeno sauce the exact same way. And tabascos are indeed nearer one end of the hottest scale compared to jalepeno.

I have a recipe for deep fried, seafood stuffed jalepeno's if you would like :)

Hugs
    marlene