Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally grow TAM jalapeno peppers but couldn't find any this year. Didn't have time to start my own as usual.

Anyway, the TAM peppers don't bother me but I feel like someone has pepper sprayed me--choking, coughing, sneezing, eyes watering. I knew to wear food service gloves but WHAT can I do about the fumes/juice droplets that are torture? I wear eye glasses and thought about a mask of some sort. I also tried holding the peppers under the faucet as I cut out the seeds and membranes. No avail.

Would very much appreciate suggestions to prevent this discomfort when I finish the batch.

Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
All of my peppers this year are HOT - even the bells are pretty spicy. I dont' know what's made it that way. Same varieties, same growing conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
What is a lot of fun for everyone in the house is when a jar breaks in the canner! :)

Hope you are wearing gloves. I have had to move on from the hot peppers. As much as I love them, they do not love me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All of my peppers this year are HOT - even the bells are pretty spicy. I dont' know what's made it that way. Same varieties, same growing conditions.
FYI (perhaps you already know this but...) peppers can and will cross-pollinate. Therefore, never grow "sweet" peppers and "hot" peppers too close. If so, this could be the reason.

T

·
0 Posts
I have some hot, hot peppers, and the other day just rinsing them off took my breath away! I had been washing dishes, to the tap was running hot - I tossed them in the bottom of the sink for their rinse, and apparently the hot water released a smidge of their hotness as vapor! It about floored me...
I think it was a good year for Hot peppers. 8-0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts