jalapeno in salsa question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bugstabber, Oct 10, 2004.

1. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I'm taking advantage of my day off tomorrow and making salsa. Now for the question, can I use the whole jalapeno (minus stem) including the membrane/placenta that is inside? My daughter has requested a hot batch, and I thought it would be a lot easier if I chopped the whole thing than to clean it out and put the seeds back in. Anyone tried this? Thanks in advance!

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I use the whole thing. I have heard aficionados claim that the membrane adds a bitterness, but personally, I find it too damned hot to tell!! :D

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When you buy whole pickles jalepenyos they leave seeds and all inside. Did you know that salsa will continue to get hotter after it sits a few days in the fridge? :waa: Don't add dried cayenne pepper because it isn't hot enough. :haha: Cause it WILL be!

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Thanks for the help! I made two double batches each of hot and mild tomatillo salsa. Ended up with 23 half pints, 10 pints and 4 quarter pint jars. Unfortunately, I still have more to use so I'll be making some more one night this week. The hard part will be deciding whether to make the hot or mild. Have a good evening!

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Hey speaking of hot stuff.I love things hot but don't like the bitter or vinegar taste of most hot salsas(or Tabsco).My dad turned me onto one sold by Walmart.Its name is TAPATIO salsa picante,looks like regular red/orange colored hot salse.Has a picture of a Mexican in a sombrero on the front of the bottle.It not real hot like some,butt the taste is great! Label reads red pepper as the heat ingrediant,also spices what ever they might be but no vinegar.
    Also sold by Food lion i think it is,in the Mexican food section.

Umm Salsa!

6. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Combining different types of peppers adds a nice zing too. We chop a seeded habenero for a real firery salsa.