Jacobs Ram pic

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by jacobs, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

This is a 1 1/2yr old ram that I donated to a local petting farm. They were looking for a breeding ram for the winter farm herd and I talked them into using him for the petting zoo as well because he was so docile. This was my first attempt to post a pix on the site, thought I'd better learn.

[​IMG]

2. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

We also raise Jacob's!

Here is a pic of our ram born last Feb. We just had to butcher him as he became very aggressive. How do you get them to be docile????

[​IMG]

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Wow! Look at that those horns!

Is 4 horns a breed trait?

4. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

Multiple horn sets are a jacobs trait. I have a couple with no horns, a few with 2 horns, a bunch with 4 horns, 1 with 5 horns, and 4 with 6 horns. I have had a couple of rams that were aggressive when you were in the fence but loved to be petted when you were on the outside, they tasted pretty good. This ram was the smallest of the lambs and when he was about 6 months old he got hammered by one of the bigger rams. I didn't think he was going to make it but I spent a lot of time with him and nursed him back to health. They have him at the petting zoo even during mating and he is the hit of the farm and always come for treats and petting from the kids. I had one ram that liked to come in the house (a couple of ewes also) to watch tv. My wife put a stop to that when we got a new rug.

I've heard that if you don't make "friends" with a ram, ie: pet or hand feed, they will generally stay away. The aggressive ram that I had didn't have horns both he weighed 135lbs and actually snapped a 2x4 (on the long edge) while standing next to it and swinging his head to the side and hitting it with the side of his head. Judging from the horns on yours, he could be very dangerous in dead. I had a ewe with horns just like that and she knew how to use them, fortunately against the other sheep and the dog and not us. We found sombody that thought she was pretty and she's gone too!

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

jacobs,

Please understand I am not trying to be mean in any way. But a Jacob Ram is not a good or safe choice for a petting Zoo. Your Ram is young, but this spring his temperament is going to change. He can easily break a child's bones or worse. Please,, Please let them know this, some folks just have no idea about Rams, especially Jacob's.

If you want, a wether is a much better choice for safety reasons.

6. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

Well, what happened with our ram was, his momma had no milk so we bottle fed. I am lazy, since it was the first of Feb and VERY COLD we brought him in the house. He was so much fun he stayed in the house for 2 weeks :) So he was very tame.

The past several months he became aggressive as the ewes came into heat. I have since been told to NEVER make a pet of a ram b/c they will not respect you but see you as a challenge.

I second the advice to have him separated during mating time anyway. Even if he *seems* docile. Our ram still loved to be petted and handfed, but you needed to keep the fence between you. If you were in the open field you became a "threat" to him and he really hurt myself and had my dh pinned against the barn wall with those tall horns once, around his neck!!!!!!!!

That said, we love our Jacob sheep and are getting another ram soon. I personally think they have the most beautiful lambs of any breed :D We can't wait to have another "crop"!

7. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

Bergere,

This picture was taken when he was a 1 1/2yr old. He is 3 1/2yrs now and is still there and still just as docile as the day he left us. He goes to the winter barn and comes back in the spring when they reopen. He has ewes in the pasture with him at the petting zoo. He will follow you around like a puppy. The kids can't go in by the animals but pet & feed them over the fence. This farm has been in business a long time and know jacobs sheep. They have about 5 different breeds each of sheep, cows, pigs, goats, etc. They have rabbits, turkeys, pea fowl, and lots of different chicken breeds with a brooder house. Horses, donkeys, mules, etc. A large garden area with a variety of field crops for city folks to see up close. They have a large collection of antique equipment and tools and little log buildings with varying types of exhibits.

The only animals that are loose are the baby pigs, sheep, goats, and chickens. The kids can pick them up and carry them, bottle feed them or give them grain.

I have 3 rams on the farm now and have no qualms with turning my back on any of them. If they get aggressive they are gone.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

That is good to know, that they know what they are doing. Have been hearing so many horror stories lately, from folks that did not find the sheep/Ram information out first. Sigh ~ ~ They learned the hard way.

I love Jacobs I always have. However the reason I got out of Jacobs all those years ago, was because I could not find a Ram in my area, with the temperament I require for all animals on my farm. Picky,, oh yes, for very good reasons.

What Line is your Ram? I had Puddleduck lines,, great at attacking and killing dogs, but not ones you wanted around kids.

Sounds like one of the Farms I sold my Babydoll southdown wethers too, in CA.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

He's lovely! I love Jacobs, too. They're so cool, and thinking of that fleece just gives me shivers, lol!

Your ram is very atypical...most rams who've been handled get very aggressive between 3-5 years. For the rest of you out there wanting 'tame' rams, it really isn't advisable to make them into pets. You never know which one will turn on you, they can be very dangerous. There are those rare few (like this lovely guy), but personally I'd rather be safe than broken in two by a ram.

10. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

I actually don't know the line of the ram. I got into jacobs about 8 yrs ago when my daughter worked at that petting farm. She brought a ewe home for me the first year and two ewes and a ram the next year. I gave them Button 2 yrs ago and they gave me a ram lamb at the end of that year from registered stock. I believe they were all registered, but when I got them they were going to be pets so I didn't really care about the paper. I'm the am way with my horses, they are all registered but out of 13 horses we only have papers in our name for 1.
    I was up as high as 40 head this fall and sold off half the herd to some neighbors who said they only wanted 2 and ended up with 15. Then I sell the rams to breeders for the horn sets. I was down to 18, right now I'm at 37 with 4 ewes due soon.

11. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Jacob's,, <LOL> now that is not going to help. You get a good line and.... :rolleyes: Just my luck.

kesoaps, I never made pets of my Rams, however, some lines are easier to deal with than others. Rather have ones that don't make pretzels out of gates or sheds. IT is possible to get good Rams.

My Senior BHC herd sire was 9 years old, and could always walk into any pasture he was in, even during breeding season, and not have to worry. Did keep and eye on him though. He was gentle with the ewes, romanced them, great with his lambs, good with other animals.
    Like I said, I am picky and have strict requirements for my animals temperaments.

My Family on my Dad's side was 7 generations that were sheep breeders, so have learned a lot from them. Believe me, I know the dangers of Rams.

12. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

I'm sure that I could still find out their lines from the Farm. The original owner of the Farm was the principal of a local country high school and taught agriculture and running the business, kept good records. The new owners, from which I received last years registered ram lamb should know the b-lines for him. All of my sheep prior to this year's lambs were from 3 ewes and two rams that I got from the Farm when my daughter worked there. Two of the ewes were jacobs and one was half jacobs and half barbados. I have two rams from last year, one has no horns and weighs over 100lbs and the other has an impressive 5 horn set and weighs less than 50lbs. I had 1 ram last year that was 125lbs at 5 months and was the tallest sheep I had at the time. I get quite a variety of sizes and colors!

13. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

Here is an updated picture of Button at the petting zoo.

[​IMG]
    I think he likes the attention better than the snacks!

14. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thats cute....

When you do get the time,, pleaseeee find out what his line is. Am just itching to know!!