Jacobs cattle beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hetty, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Hetty

Hetty Active Member

I am in Northern Ireland, I think we are zone five or six. I got some Jacob beans mail order and sowed them but they seemed to rot in the ground. When should I sow them next spring and has anyone got any tips for them. Also what height do they grow and do they need support and what sort of soil do they like?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Most beans don't do well if planted in cold wet soil. We grow cattle beans, but don't plant them until the soil temperature is above 50 f. Our soil is a clay loam. We usually plant a couple weeks after the last frost date listed for our zone 5.
    Do you have frost date zones listed where you live?? Our plants bush out about like most green beans. They are self supporting, and get 15 to 20 inches tall. We haven't had any problems with germination. Are you certain they sent you good seed?

3. Hetty

Hetty Active Member

Thanks for your help. Our last frost date would be early June, but this past spring and early summer wre cold here with bad growing conditions. I have some of the seed and will try again next year,dv We had a lovely summer and autumn here.
    There isnt any way I could tell if the seed was good?

4. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Hetty;When its warm enough to plant soak the seeds in a cup of warm water and a tablespoon of Hydrogen peroxide.Next day drain the beans and wrap(Roll) up in a damp paper towel and place them inside of a plastic zip-lock bag and put in a warm place.Top of refridgerator is usually a good place.You'll want to check it every day and when the seeds start to sprout you'll know they are viable and then plant outside.Being really careful not to break or damage the new root.-