Jacob sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Patty0315, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I am getting 11 Jacob sheep, if you have any tell me what you think of them ? The woman I am getting them from uses them for there fleece, she spins. Does anyone here ???

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

We just got one Jacob sheep and one quarter Jacob sheep and we are milking them. Not too prolific there, but doing ok and available. The Jacob sheep is cool - has black lips like wearing lipstick. The quarter Jacob has blue wool. They both just weaned twins. I don't spin, but I have neighbors that do.

3. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We just got 4 yearling ewes and a young ram that I've been bottle feeding fror 2 months. All seem to be going well but we really don't have alot of experience. We're looking for someone to shear and have lots of questions as far as breeding and all but we really enjoy the breed itself. I have some with 2 horns, one with 3 horns and some with 4.

Talked to a woman that sheared her own and she says the 4 horned really rip up your legs when you're clipping them yourself.... Find someone in your area that has Jacobs and it makes it great to have someone to run your questions by that's only a phone call away.

There is a wealth of info out there too so check out the resources you have in the internet too. Good luck!

:p

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I had Jacobs for awhile. All the ewes were halter trained, so made them easier to shear. I had no problems shearing my own, but you do have to watch the horns.

luvrulz, am sure you have heard this before many times. But you might want to wither your bottle Ram. I found at least in the Puddleduck line, Rams that are untouched are quite aggressive. Bottle feed Rams are very dangerous. Please becareful.

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I have the opposite with my Finn/Dorset ram. He was a bottle baby and he is very well behaved. we are actually holding him over for another year because he is a good boy. The woman who sold me the flock of Jacops treated them like her babies, so they are all very friendly.

6. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

but he's been in a fenced pasture since he was about 3 to 4 weeks old. I feed him through the fence and now he has 4 ewes in with him. They've been in with him about 2 weeks now and he's less interested in us. He's down to one bottle a day and that's the only time I go around....unless they need water. Hubby feeds them creep and is the one to go inside the fence if needed. Think that might work out?? We were going to use him for breeding this year if we could....

Otherwise, anyone close to south central Kentucky have a Jacob ram I could borrow? I was hoping to breed them earlier than the norm this year. Anyone trying that? I was hoping to have the lambing done in January....