Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone who has ever tried to cook up a jackrabbit will probably tell you that you might have better luck with a cut of old truck tire. Never having been one to be stopped by past experience, or even common sense, I was determined to give it a try.

A few days ago I took my old single shot .22, and went about collecting two jackrabbits. In the evening after I fed my horses and mules, I set under a tree about fifty yards from the horses and waited. Twenty minutes, and two head shots later, I had two test subjects.

By now it was nearly dark, so I gathered up my rabbits and took them up to the cabin. Sitting on the porch under the yard light, I skinned my soon to be stew meat.
Ten minutes later, I took a bucket of head, hide, and guts down the driveway and dumped it in the middle of the road. Knowing that it would all be gone by morning. I washed the meat with cold water, cut it into manageable pieces put it in a freezer bag, and placed it in the freezer.

Yesterday after my morning chores, I took my new cast aluminum made in Afghanistan Pressure Cooker and set it on the stove. With a half cup of veggie oil, and two diced onions, I soon had fried onions. Next I dumped the two rabbits into the pot straight from the freezer. Three potatoes, a hand full of chopped carrots, salt, pepper, one can of stewed tomatoes, two bay leaves, four crushed garlic cloves and a quart of water, I put the lid on and tightened it down.

Within ten minutes the vents were letting a little steam pass, so I set my timer. An hour later I turned off the fire, and waited a few minutes until all of the steam had vented. I opened the pot and spooned up a bowl of Jackrabbit Stew.

The veggies were perfect, the meat was tasty and falling off the bone tender.

Conclusion: With a pressure cooker, and a little luck, even I can make Jackrabbit Stew.(y)

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,248 Posts
If you like cajun, here is close to what I season with.

• 1 tbsp dry mustard
  • 1 tbsp sweet paprika
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp white pepper
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 3 cups diced onion
  • 2 cups diced bell pepper
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • ½ cup chopped minced fresh (not pickled) jalapeno, seeds removed
  • 4 cups diced, peeled tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp or more minced garlic
  • 1 small can, tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp hot sauce (Louisiana preferred)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

• 1 tbsp dry mustard
  • 1 tbsp sweet paprika
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp white pepper
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 3 cups diced onion
  • 2 cups chopped celery
Thanks for the recipe, but too hot for me.

·
Registered
33,561 Posts
We have swamp and cotton tailed rabbits here. I always thought swamp rabbits were like a jack rabbit. Maybe I am wrong. I saw jack rabbits in Texas. They looked like swamp rabbits.

Swamp rabbits taste terrible. No one here will eat them. I ate a young one by accident a few years ago, cooked along with CTs. It was easy to pick out that SR by the bad taste.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My wife was just talking to her uncle about pressure cooking this past weekend. I’ve never tried it, but my wife’s uncle swears by it. He said the same thing about how tender the meat turns out.
We have one here, but have never used it. Now maybe I’ve found a way to cook Canadian geese. I tried 10 different ways of cooking it, and it always turned out like chewing on a boot sole.

·
Registered
33,561 Posts
That InstaPot thing works the same way

We used to fry chicken in a pressure cooker. Can't be beat. The InstaPot people thought I was crazy when I called to ask if I could fry chicken in it.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,535 Posts
No jackrabbit for me but I love my pressure cookers. Electric or stove top they are my most used pots in the house.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Ate a lot of jackrabbit once upon a time. Young jackrabbit pretty good any way you cook it. Full grown and that pressure cooker is the way to go. Similar goose problem as someone mentioned, found pressure cooker worked well.

Did not have a crock pot back then so have not tried that method.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

• 1 tbsp dry mustard
  • 1 tbsp sweet paprika
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp white pepper
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 3 cups diced onion
  • 2 cups chopped celery
Woah, the trinity and the pope! That's authentic Cajun. Sounds delicious, even if it does seem to be a lot of ingredients.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Our Instant pot can make even wild turkey legs fall-off-the-bone tender.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts