Jackie Clay's husband died

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I know there are some subscribers to Backwoods Home Magazine (BWH) at this forum, so this is likely old news to you. But for those of you who know Jackie Clay, I just thought I'd let you know that her husband died.

IMHO, Jackie Clay is probably the best homestead writer/expert out there. I like her stuff better than Carla Emery. She writes for Backwoods Home Magazine.

Last year, Jackie and her husband and her 14yo son moved from Wyoming to northern Minnesota. The last few issues of BWH is all about them setting up thier homestead.

Her husband died of a brain hemmorage at the young age of 58. He was a Vietnam Vet, was affected by Agent Orange, and was dealing with PTSS.

Jackie's current situation is living way back off the road in an old, used mobile home with her son, and both parents (ages 88 and 93!).

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Oh, geez, I didn't know. I often return to their website just to read her stuff...but I missed this. Thanks for passing it on. I'm sorry to hear it. I love the way she writes.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Thank you for letting us know this sad news.

4. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I read her article in this month's issue and was just stunned.
    Tana Mc

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

You can send condolences to her through the magazine. She's the main reason I subscribe to BWH as I can't stomach their willfully ignorant "philosophy".

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I was shocked.....and saddened...

I hope Jackie is able to continue fullfilling her dreams with her son and parents at her side. Its actually kind of nice that her folks are with her to help her thru this rough patch eventhough I had some real BIG concerns when they all decided to keep them at the homestead site.

One never knows when their time is up.....smart people live the life they want today!

Her son seems to have learned alot from Dad and I'm sure he will be a big help around the place.

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I too was shocked when I opened up the magazine this month !! It was as if I really knew them !! I suppose we do know them because we have followed their lives now for many years and they have probably been your dinner time talk on several occassions too as with us. I know she will obtain her goal of her homestead but I just can't imagine her pain. It seems as if the news has been bad lately with fellow homesteaders but perhaps this is just part of our life cycle too. Being alone is a terrible thing even in a room full of others. I can't imagine my life without my hubby..now 39 years anniversary coming up !! ( are we really that old ??) Guess it is just a lesson for all of us to treasure the moments we all have together. The Lord only promises us this heartbeat and no more. Guess don't worry about the small things and enjoy today. Now...the magazine itself is different for sure. But perhaps that is why we all enjoy it. We can agree to disagree and sometimes I need to know what others are thinking and doing..even if it is politics and gun control or whatever in this country. I really don't want to be a person that knows nothing about our laws and such and it makes me investigate on my own many of their topics they discuss in the magazine.

8. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself really enjoys Jackie Clay. She subscribes to the magazine just for Ms. Clay's work. I enjoy reading about folks who are makng do, getting along, and getting by, as Ms. Clay describes in her experiences. I don't care too much for the whole gun packing Big Bad Bubba image of some of the writers.

Too bad about her husband, I can't magine what it would be like to lose Herself; especially after our nigh onto 34 years together. I hope I go first.