Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jack just did the rooster dance when I reached in the tote to pet him.

I never knew how fast they mature. They start crowing at 6 weeks and the little hens lay at 4 months.

The roosters are all looking very roostery at this age. Their shiny hackle and saddle feathers are growing in real good, and I'm beginning to see the sickle feathers curving. Not even 2 months old!

Another cute thing they do is call the pullets to the food bowl.

·
Registered
999 Posts
How cute! I didn't realize they could crow so young!

We have three 6ish week olds right now. I haven't the slightest clue if they are male or female. :)
No crowing, but then we have a rooster, their dad, as well, so maybe they are hiding their maleness, if there is one. :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How cute! I didn't realize they could crow so young!

We have three 6ish week olds right now. I haven't the slightest clue if they are male or female. :)
No crowing, but then we have a rooster, their dad, as well, so maybe they are hiding their maleness, if there is one. :)
Can you post pics? Mine were very obvious males and females by 3 weeks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Certainly, I would love the help!
I was thinking 1 might be a cockerel, but only because the legs are thicker.
Which isn't necessarily a great tell for them, as they are mutts.
Dad is a Polish Crested. One, the mom is definitely barred rock, by the feathers. The other two, if I remember, they were blue EE eggs, so mega mutts, but not likely to have large combs then, correct?
Let me go out and see if I can get some clear pics right now. :) Be back in a bit :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly, I would love the help!
I was thinking 1 might be a cockerel, but only because the legs are thicker.
Which isn't necessarily a great tell for them, as they are mutts.
Dad is a Polish Crested. One, the mom is definitely barred rock, by the feathers. The other two, if I remember, they were blue EE eggs, so mega mutts, but not likely to have large combs then, correct?
Let me go out and see if I can get some clear pics right now. :) Be back in a bit :)
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you have Seramas.

Your roosters probably won't crow until they're 4 to 6 months old. If they have a crest, it may be a while before you can tell their gender.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you have Seramas.

Your roosters probably won't crow until they're 4 to 6 months old. If they have a crest, it may be a while before you can tell their gender.
Nope not seramas. :) Why are the seramas more easily figured out?
I did look closer at mine as I was taking photos. No saddle feathers that I could discern. Also no extra shine to them at all.
Still wanna take some stabs at it? :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope not seramas. :) Why are the seramas more easily figured out?
I did look closer at mine as I was taking photos. No saddle feathers that I could discern. Also no extra shine to them at all.
Still wanna take some stabs at it? :)
Seramas just mature very very fast.

I'll still look at your pics.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Here are some pics I just took.
They are really afraid of me, so it is hard to get pics. :(
I know I got the barred rock mix, and the other pics, I can't tell those 2 babies apart very well. They are the 2 that I think are EE-Polish mixes.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Oh my gosh really?! Man I hope you are wrong, no offense. :)
The mom was being insistent on going broody, so we let her keep some eggs, and figured if we got hens, we could butcher out some of our older hens and replace them.
3 roosters doesn't quite fit in my plan... though I could butcher them out when they are large enough as well (spring?!).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts