Ivory billed woodpecker NOT extinct

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Grandmotherbear, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Apparently the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is not extinct after all. MSNC.com reports in its Science news there have been 16 reputable sightings over 7 months. The 16th was the clincher because it was videotaped and a sound recording of its call.
    Also called the Lord God bird, the Ivory Billed resembles a Pileated but has a 3 ft wing span.
    All y'all in Arkansas, leave some dead trees up for habitat for this fantastic bird...
    Dh swore that a few winters back a HUGE woodpecker came into our back yard and landed on the liveoak- he said he didn't know pileated woodpeckers got that huge, and at the time he wondered if it could have been an Ivory-billed.....

2. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

OMG what wonderful news! We have all sorts of woodpeckers here in East Texas. The Pileated is indeed something to behold and hear. They scare the living daylights out of my free range flock when they fly over. In my wooded world alone I have counted about five different breeds of woodpeckers without really trying.

Woodpecker thought extinct rediscovered
    http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/nation/11512414.htm
    [​IMG]

3. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

What a wonderful way to start my day ...this am, I heard it on NPR. I was the President of our local Audubon Society for a couple of years and I gained a great love for this bird .... It is GREAT .... maybe one day, we can all see one ... at least on television.

4. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Yahoo! I was hoping they were still out there in the back of beyond!!

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I was pretty excited when I heard that too.

Pileated woodpeckers are indeed a sight to behold. You have to look twice to make sure what you are seeing is the scale in which you are seeing it.

I never get bored watching birds but then again I'm a nerd when it comes to nature. My friends use to call me Marlon Perkins. "What kind of bird/animal/fish/insect is that? Go ask Marlon Perkins over there he knows...he'll tell you all about it and probably even knows the latin name for it."

Back in high school it didn't do much to attract females for some reason. Had to get a 200mph bullet bike for that.

6. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

That news completely made my day!!
    I had seen a special on PBS about it's demise and by the end of it I was crying my head off. The last one seen was still in it's tree when it was chopped down. :bash:
    I yelled so loud about the good news, you would've thought I won the lottery. :haha:
    If you do some research you will find that mankind and nothing else has caused the demise of the world's animals and plants.
    Stupid aren't we?

7. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

The problem is that the gov is now said to gonna spend millions to "preserve" this bird. What does that mean for landowners in the area? And what about spending that millions on people that need help? Sapphira

8. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

sapphira- most of the habitat where the sightings were is remote swamp; no one lives there, and the Nature Conservancy, a private nonprofit organization, has already been purchasing some of the land. I think any landowners in the area could stand to make a hefty profit.

Millions is small change to the government.

I'm going to draw from the words of Aldo Leopold to explain my thoughts about the "humans vs. endangered species" mentality: :soap:

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."

"The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it. The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering."

"For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun. The Cro-Magnon who slew the last mammoth thought only of steaks. The sportsman who shot the last [Passenger] pigeon thought only of his prowess. The sailor who clubbed the last auck thought of nothing at all. But we, who have lost our pigeons, mourn the loss. Had the funeral been ours, the pigeons would hardly have mourned us. In this fact, rather than in Mr. DuPont's nylons or Mr. Vannevar Bush's bombs, lies objective evidence of our superiority over the beasts."

I, for one, am thrilled at this news. I can use every bit of hope I can find.

9. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

My kids thought this was the neatest news...and it is!

10. kaelinda

kaelinda Member

what wonderful news!!
    i have made my small 45 acres into a nature habitat since moving here 8 years ago. when we came here were NO BIRDS at all!! today the place is bursting with the sounds of nature. my dream has been to see the ivory billed join us here- so many woodpeckers here and yes i did think i saw a pair of them courting around a gum tree but thought my imagination was running wild; oh my i am going to cry for joy!

11. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

The Nature Conservancy is in many ways a great organization. They are Non-Profit. The conservancy gets millions from the government of the US. They work with and use monies of the US Corps of Army engineers, EPA, USDA, USAID, DOI, NPS, DOD(defense), and state and local governments.
    I feel strongly that these millions should go into helping people - US Gov money for US people. ANd let the PEOPLE take care of the birds. People need to be caretakers of this world.
    Conservation sign up for farms and ranches at the moment in 202 watersheds into the conservation Security Program -newly eligible - NEWLY ELIGIBLE - is 208,000 farms, covering 83 million acres and equal to Missouri and Florida Combined.
    Humans VS Endangered Species????? I see none of that here.
    I am an avid bird watcher for about 25 years and have left some of my property to the wild.
    I am also very very concerned about "smartgrowth" and the huge roll ecology and environmentalism is on. Anyone interested please please look up smartgrowth in google or whatever and read about it. Sapphira

12. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

Not only is this amazing news because it means there were at least a couple mating pairs left BUT it also means if we are able to cut back drastically on our use of chemicals or even better stop all together...we can slowly reverse the damage our ignorance has done to the planet. Perhaps we can leave it better for the next generations.

13. Nan(TX)

We have a forum on this board for controversial subjects. I wish some on this thread would take their agendas there and leave the rest of us alone. I get so tired of threads getting hijacked.

14. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

To me, they are a terrorist organization. The NWO folks use these people to manage their agenda. They use words like "clean water", "endangered species", etc. to take property rights and increase taxes. We are fighting them right now in southron Missouri over a "water and sewer" district. Bass Pro has even threatened our elected officials for fighting these green nazis. Silver Dollar City is also behind them. Makes you wonder when these entitities are all in bed together.

15. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

Nan:
    I am not sure if that was directed to me or just the posts in general.

To the person who said that we need to look after people and let the people look after the animals...
    In a perfect world yes but that isn't happening and we would be foolish to think that was the mindset of the world. Yes if everyone was 100% on board it would work. And you would be foolish to think that we are all not part of the same eco system. Lose a species and it puts us one step closer to dying off ourselves. We have already lost many cures to diseases with the destruction of large parts of the rain forest. And by take care of the people what do you mean? To most it means the option in accumulating things, not providing a quality of life. If you mean clean drinking water, world wide...yes I am with you. If it means having a car, a tv and other trappings of the modern world...sorry I can't agree. My goal in life is to walk without leaving a footprint and to even be able to leave things better then when I got here. That means no over fishing, no over hunting and not dumping chemicals into the planet. I have three letters to prove that point DDT! it was the best thing ever...until down the road they found it was poisoning the whole planet. So now they sell it to 3rd world countries. It is the butterfly effect...if a butterfly stop flapping its wings in Toyko we will feel the impact here, maybe not tomorrow, but one day.

16. Nan(TX)

Well this thread is officially hijacked. I'm out of here. Happy mudslinging.

17. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Bit off subject, but wild honeybees are making a comeback too. An imported mite had pretty well wipped them out, at least locally. Found a swarm on the side of a tree in the yard a couple of days ago and called the County Agent. He put me in touch with a guy who is getting back into bees. He came out to collect them to start a hive. The agent also came out to take photographs and get information for possible presention material. The beekeeper said enough native honeybees proved to be resistent to the mites they have started to repopulate. They were swarming while scouts looked for a suitable place for a new hive.

Ken Scharabok

18. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

The Sportsman's Watchdog has detailed how we're going to be fleeced ...

Share the Joy
    29 April 05 by Daniel D. Lamoreux| 1 comment(s) | Discuss this article
    Those of you living in Arkansas and Louisiana had better hang on to your hats. Uncle Sam is moving in and he’s bringing an army of control freaks with him.

Once-thought Extinct Ivory-Billed Woodpecker Rediscovered in Arkansas is the title of this news release and it starts like this:

Responding to the dramatic rediscovery of the Ivory-billed woodpecker at the Cache River National Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas, Interior Secretary Gale Norton and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced a milti-year, multi-million-dollar partnership effort to aid the rare bird’s survival. The bird has been thought to be extinct in the United States for more than 60 years.

Forget the fact that this bird has apparently found a way to get along just fine without our help – the natural inclination is to do something to make sure it doesn’t get relisted as extinct.

(For the moment, I won’t even talk about how often we’ve been wrong on that classification.)

Well, folks are doing something. Private sector groups and citizens have already committed 10 million dollars to research and habitat protection efforts.

Nonetheless, our tax dollars have found another black hole in which to disappear.

Excerpt:
    The Interior Department, along with the Department of Agriculture, has proposed that more than $10 million in federal funds be committed to protect the bird.

I have a list provided by US Fish & Wildlife that breaks down how they anticipate spending that additional 10 million dollars.

Department of Interior: $5 million consisting of

Habitat Partnership Grants – $2.0 million to “support protection and restoration of habitat”

Recovery Planning – $1.3 million in 2005 to develop a recovery plan and for public education materials. Of course, the $1.3 million isn’t really truthful. Add another $1.2 million for 2006 for planning and another $500,000 in 2006 for USGS research.

Partnerships – $1.2 million in 2005 to “develop partnerships”. Notice this number is for 2005 only. Expect this to be another never-ending program.

Enchanced Law Enforcement – $300,000 in 2005 to “enhance refuge law enforcement capability to work with visitors, birders, and hunters on public use/access issues.”

Translation… they’ll be putting up some mighty expensive gates and lots of “Get Lost” signs. By the way, add to the number above another $600,000 for this line-item in 2006 plus another $200,000 to “assign a special agent to work on range-wide protection issues”. That agent must really be special.

Public Education – $200,000 for “on-refuge kiosks and other public education efforts”.

Wow, we must really be a bunch of dummies considering they’re spending money in Recovery Planning, Law Enforcement & Public Education to make sure we understand the important work they’re doing with our hard earned dollars.

Thus far we have a total of $7.5 million dollars of known costs in a $10 million dollar “budget”. The other “half” will go to the Department of Agriculture.

According to the release USDA will be getting $5.2 million.

Let’s see, we have $2.7 million earmarked for “cost-share tree planting” through the Conservation Reserve Program.

Then we add $1 million to the Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program to support “habitat improvement”.

And throw in another $1.5 million for the Wetlands Reserve Program to “purchase development easements”.

Okay, that’s $5.2 million. But the headlines don’t include the anticipated expense of 13.5 million dollars that will be necessary to finish paying off the 15-year contracts they put in place under the CRP portion of this plan.

Hmmm… now we’re talking about a program cost of 26.2 million dollars but we already know the government never comes in on budget.

Excerpt:
    This amount would supplement $10 million already committed to research and habitat protection efforts by private sector groups and citizens, an amount expected to grow once news of the rediscovery spreads.

Yup… an amount expected to grow.

My favorite quote comes from Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns when he said:

At the same time, we understand that habitat conservation can impact landowners. That’s why we’re going to reach out to work cooperatively with stakeholders so we can all share in the joy of this discovery.

There you have it!

Dig deep… we’re all about to share in the joy…

19. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Copperhead, we can always count on you to bring a negative connotation to any subject. :no:

20. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

:cool: Glad to hear about the ivory bill woodpecker. Seems like several years ago someone made the claim about the ivory bill being in ark and the scientist shot the guy down. They had sound recordings and pictures. glad to hear that scientist were wrong.
    tnborn