Ivomec?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chickflick, May 14, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Should Ivomec be given as per bottle dosages.. with goats as well as dogs, cows, etc.?
    THANKS.. Got a little guy (3mos?) w/runs, but only had a week. Getting used to food?

2. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

I just use the past type and squirt it in the back of their mouth.

3. mvfarms91

mvfarms91 Well-Known Member

I don't know about dogs ( I have heard that if your dog has heartworm that ivomec can kill your dog??) but i use the ivomec injectable and give 1cc per 110 pounds body weight --of course a little fella might only get 1/2 cc. but I would think your problem might be feed change too quick. they can get acidosis from too quick of a change. Got to let their rumens develop the right bacteria for each food.

4. we do not use ivomec on young kids as there is evidence of it going to the brain. We have in the past, with no problems but don't do it anymore.
    On adults, we use the cattle injectable, give it orally at 1 cc per 40 lbs

5. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple things may be going on with this kid. It might be change in food. Perhaps just feeding a good quality hay and water (and no grain) along with Probios to mellow out the rumen. Personally, a stool specimen taken to a vet would be my first step as you may be dealing with coccidia instead of the parasites that Ivomec or other wormers target. Coccidia requires its own treatment. Some people give goats Kaopectate for diarrhea but I wouldn't give more than a couple doses as you don't want the kid to get "plugged up" either. The kid could quickly die if it becomes too dehydrated so a diagnosis is needed first.

Nappy

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I also suspect coccidia in a kid that age. I use Valbazen on kids. If you do use Ivomec injectable on a goat, it is dosed at twice the cattle dosage, given orally. I give 2 cc's per 110 lbs.