ivomec pour on??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by happyladybug, Apr 20, 2006.

1. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

can you use ivomec pour on on goats?? and what dosage per body weight??
    and can it be used on pregnant goats???

thank you!!

janis

2. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

3. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I am told by some not to use it but then others came forward to say they do indeed use it as pour on. Use the cow does. I would not use it on preganant goats, and am told to use it on a sunny day. Liz in NY

4. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I have used Ivermectin pour-on for years with excellent results. In fact, I try to hit everybody up with it in the spring after the herd has spent a lot of time in close quarters in the barn. That's the time when they seem to be the most licey and I have found the pour-on does an excellent job of cleaning up parasites, both inside and outside the goat. I think it's ok for pregnant does; I don't know if you would want to drink the milk, if you're milking, for a few days after dosing.

I go three times the body weight (i.e., 100 lb. goat, set for 300 pounds). I have used it on dairy goats, pygmies, and babies of all sizes (maybe not newborns). It's a little pricey and as soon as I can afford to, I'll be doing my herd.

5. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

In my experience, the pour-on is not nearly as good as the injectable on intestinal parasites. Do not use it on lactating animals if you plan to drink the milk. I would not use it on pregnant animals just to be on the safe side. I usually use a lice powder for external parasites and either pellet dewormer (for the does ) or injectable ( only on my buck ) for internal parasites.

6. Janis Sauncy

I've never used the injectable, just because I don't trust myself and my experience (or lack of)to use it. Know plenty of people who do, though.

Like I said, I like to use the pour-on in the spring, then the next worming will be with Safeguard or Pancur paste (I go 4 times the weight with it), and then next time with Ivermectin paste (3 X the weight). Throughout the summer, I do the lice powder.

For me, that once in the spring with the pour-on has worked well.

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

You can use the pour-on, but you give it orally, not as a pour-on. I like the paste better though, easier to administer.

8. Janis Sauncy

(I'm going to try this again. I was in the middle of this post and I lost my link, for about the tenth time today! Damn dial-up.)

Anyway, if you give the pour-on orally, do you do the same dosage (I do 3X the weight when I do any of the ivermectins, pour-on or paste)? And, do they take it willingly? I'm not going to taste it, but I can't imagine it's pleasant. That's why I always look forward to when it's time for the Safeguard......I've only had a couple of goats fight the apple-flavor!

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I believe you use the same dosage as on the bottle for the pour-on, but you give it orally. But I'm not 100% certain, because we used the injectible (given orally) when we used Ivermectin.