Ivermectin paste dose amount ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Jan 8, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have a 23 pound 2 year old female heeler with red mange; ivermectin paste is available to treat it oraly, anybody know the dose amount? And how to measure it ect?

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Mitch are you talking about horse wormer? If so it goes buy clicks which add fifty[ some time one hundred] pounds.for a dog that small I would be carefull, Although its hard to over dose ivomec.If it is horse wormer go to first click on tube and if fifty give her 1/2 of it[ maybe spread it out then put some on cracker with butter?].If its one hundred per click then spread it into something and try to get 1/4 of it .

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

It should be a very small amount about the size of a small pea.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Just a caution, I have read that certain breeds dogs react differently to ivertmectin. I know that border collies and collie breeds are on the list to NOT administer ivermectin products. Normally this is an excellent prodcut to control mange but just be cautious and get your dosage absolutely correct.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

The product has been purchased, its Ivercare, ivermectin paste 1.87% anthelmintic and boticide. In that I have read here many say to use it for red mange, I am wondering if they are refering to a different form of ivermectin, such as drops or injectable? I will not use the product until this is answered fully. The amout of 1/10th of a cc per 10 - 11 pound body weight has been posted, but is the concentration different? How large is a cc in laymans terms?

6. agmantoo

7. To answer your question about cc's, in laymens terms 1 teaspoon is 5 cc's. To correctly administer a small amount as 1/10 of a cc a TB syringe or an insulin syringe is a must. It would be measured on these syringes as .10 on the syringe. Hope this helps. Jan

8. Janice 1064

Janice 1064 Member

OOPs that was me, not logged in. Jan

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I gave her an amount about the size of an air rifles BB, on the 9th. in mid afternoon, right at 72 hours back; how soon can I see results? She is still scratching big time. Further reading suggest to avoid ivermectin in collie and border collie type dogs.

10. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

The best way to cure the mange is change the oil in your truck or car. Take the used motor oil and cover the spots real good every day, in two weeks time no mange and the hair is growing back. I have used this on dogs and hogs works very well.

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

There is no evidence (aside from anecdotal) to suggest that rubbing used motor oil on your dog will accomplish anything, other than making him stink and introducing lots of toxic junk into his (and your) system.

Mange takes at least two weeks to start to show improvement, although for some manges, full recovery could take a year or more. Your vet can prescribe another medication that would aid in shortening your dog's suffering, though I can't think of the name right now. Poor thing-I hope feels better soon.

BTW, some manges are transferable to humans, so you probably want to wash all dog bedding in hot water frequently if your dog spends any time inside. The mange can't survive on humans, but it's really itchy while it's trying to...

12. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

I can say it worked for me. Really do not thing motor oil on your skin will kill you, or nobody would change your oil. But if you are a vet it would take money out of your pocket.

13. agmantoo

Moo,
    Check the dog closely and see if you can find a flea. Provided the dog is free of any fleas (something you can see) then the chances are good that the doseage is adequate to kill the mange.

14. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

http://www.knoxvet.com/FAQ.html#MangeGas
    "Q. Can I pour gasoline (or motor oil or kerosene) on my pet to treat the mange?

A. Although some people swear by these chemicals as a 'sure' cure for mange mites, it is strongly recommended to NEVER use any such treatment. Not only are these chemicals dangerously flammable, they are also just as toxic to the pet as to the mites they are supposed to be killing.

In general, if you wouldn't bathe in it yourself, don't think of putting it on your pet."

15. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Once, confronted with a mange problem on my donkey, I rubbed D.E. (diamotraceous earth) into his hide and that worked very well. I did it every 2-3 days until he quit itching on everything in sight. It has gotten rid of fleas on the dogs as well. Just an idea---not intended to start a lengthy discussion on the pros/cons/ of D.E.

16. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I've heard that dosing a lot with Listerine mouthwash works.

Maybe the pet forum can help.

:cowboy:

17. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

That dog has long been gone since the original post was January 2004. What did work was a mixture of baby oil and sulfa, into a paste form and applied thickly.