Ivermectin injection

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by brumer0, Apr 19, 2018.

1. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Last year you guys helped me diagnose a pig that needed to be wormed. Thanks again. This year’s feeder pigs are getting wormed now, right after I got them.

I forgot that I had the same problem last year, and remembered when injecting these pigs today. I use a 16gauge needle to inject ivermectin subcutaneously in the neck area. When I pull the needle out some of the medicine leaks out. Do I just apply pressure for a minute on the area? I KINDA tried this and it didn’t seem to help much. Or, am I using the wrong needle size? It seemed okay, even on these 5 week old pigs.

Any tricks or suggestions are very much appreciated. I have never done this to anything else so I have zero experience. My neighbor puts ivermectin in strawberries for oral consumption but I question its effectiveness in livestock (I do this for my dogs’ heartworm , but their dosage is much different and even questionable at that).

Thanks for any advice!!

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

16guage x ?. The length of the needle comes into it too. While 16g might be a bit of an overkill on 5 week old pigs, the slight loss of dosage won't be enough to cause any problems so don't worry about it.

I have given Ivomec orally to a large boar I once owned. He was impossible to inject without it turning into a nightmare so I would give it to him in cakes or whatever suitable food was available on the day. There was no doubt that it was never as effective as it was on the pigs I could inject. I am a great believer is using the right tool for the job!

Cheers,
    Ronnie

happy hermits likes this.

3. crehberg

crehberg Ha....made you look.

I'll agree with Ronnie... length has something to do with it too. If you get the chance to watch a vet do it, you'll probably see what we called "follow the exit". If you can get the hang of it, you actually apply pressure before the needle comes all the way out, and do a fairly good job of keeping medicine in. I have no clue, though, how to describe it to you. Maybe someone else will chime in.

4. Triple J Farm

Triple J Farm Member

try using an 18 or 21 G needle, and pinching the skin at the insertion site when you remove the needle. Then when you remove the needle give it a good vigorous rub. It still might come out a little bit but it should be minimal. Good luck.

5. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

Sorry for my late responses. Thank you so much for your advice!

I wasn’t sure on the 16gauge needle but I felt it was better than the 22 gauge that I had. Holding those pigs down & still is hard even at a young age!

I’ll check “follow the exit”.

Thank you!!