Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took our almost 4 month old German Shepherd to the vet this morning for her 3rd set of puppy shots. She was got a dose of pyrantel each time she got the shots. I requested another dose today because there were round worms in her poop after the last dose. I do not know what her poop looked like after the first dose because she got it before we got her.

We talked about starting her on heartworm prevention and we decided to use it. We were reluctant to use it as we have had a dog before on Heartgard who got the heartworm while on it.

The vet sold me Iverheart Max. I was just getting ready to give her the tablet and that is when I realized that it contains 3 different meds: ivermictin, pyrantel and praziquantel. The label says that it is to prevent heartworm and to treat and control roundworm, hookworm and tapeworm infections.

Do you think it is safe to give it to her on the same day she got a dose of pyrantel from the vet? Would it be prudent to wait another month to start the Iverhart?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd recommend just calling the vet office in the morning and asking if you're not sure. I doubt that the vet would have sold you the medication without warning you about the possibility of 'over worming' the puppy. The amount of pyrantel in the chewable is probably not enough to cause problems, since it's generally considered one of the 'safer' wormers. I'm not a vet, though -- so don't take my advice like I'm educated or anything.

I'm sorry to hear about your previous dog and your Heartgard experience. I use that for my two dogs, but you MUST be rather religious with the heartworm medicine. If you miss a month, and they get infected during that time, none of the preventative medicines will be effective.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I called the vet this morning and he advised me to wait 3-4 days before giving it to her.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Pyrantal is a pretty benign drug. It's the ivermectin you would have to be more concerned with in case of a double dose. I personally wouldn't be afraid to use the drug from the vet.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
You might want to do a little research on Ivermectin (not the "plus") for use on heart worms in dogs. From what I've read, it "cures" them as well as prevents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts