Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1-2 puppies for our homestead. With Cujo nearing 15 yrs and Valentina up in years as well I don't want to wait much longer to get Valentina the help she needs to guard our place. I'm wanting either a German Shephard or a Rottweiler breed "puppies". And I am hoping to find one or both near me, i.e. Virginia.

I've been looking over the net as well as the local animal shelters. I've also contacted my vet for possible information. What I'm finding is that the pure breeds are quite expensive; so am hoping the shelters will have what we're wanting.

Anyone in here know of reputable breeders in or near my area?

· Registered
907 Posts
1-2 puppies for our homestead. With Cujo nearing 15 yrs and Valentina up in years as well I don't want to wait much longer to get Valentina the help she needs to guard our place. I'm wanting either a German Shephard or a Rottweiler breed "puppies". And I am hoping to find one or both near me, i.e. Virginia.

I've been looking over the net as well as the local animal shelters. I've also contacted my vet for possible information. What I'm finding is that the pure breeds are quite expensive; so am hoping the shelters will have what we're wanting.

Anyone in here know of reputable breeders in or near my area?
I don't know where in VA you are but try the Orange County shelter in Orange VA. I used to volunteer there years ago and they always had good dogs.

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I've already looked over the 2 URLS you gave, Forecast; and will locate that Orange County shelter tomorrow. The prices at least are not nearly as high; however, I must add the puppies don't have the same look about them as those higher priced ones. :( (Still some of the best homestead dogs I've had were not purebred; so I'm not giving up on finding 1-2 pups of high quality to help Valentina with the place.) [For those remembering Cujo, please know, even though he is quite deaf, his eye sight is still good...not evening needing Artificial Tears anymore...and he still walks and hunts around the place...and his appetite is still good. He cannot climb stairs anymore and is not of real help as a guard dog, which means Valentina is pretty much on her own; but so far that has not presented her with a real problem.]

· Registered
7,997 Posts
I remember reading about how these two sorted your homestead. Glad to hear that Cujo has lived so many happy dog years.

· Registered
7,257 Posts
Craiglist? Facebook? Nextdoor ? Facebook has groups for different breeds. Your not supposed to "say for sale" but folks post litter pics and you private message them.

Buckeye Puppies. Ohio another breeder site.
Hoobly Classified.

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At this time we have located both German Shephard as well as Rottweiler puppies. The nearest GS is $1500 and the nearest Rotty is $1700; so we're still looking with our main objective being to find a reputable breeder with puppies having healthy "genetic" certifications for less cost. (Realizing the prices so far are reasonable expectations for these pups at this day and age! They are just a bit high for us at this time.)

We have found two GS pups that have the criteria we're looking for yet know nothing about the breeders except what those breeders have told us. (I did sign up for a Facebook page but have no real idea how to use it to get information about these two breeders yet.) One breeder is out of Vernon Hill, VA and that pup's profile can be seen at https://puppies.com/listings/e4e6ef61-aae0-4b19-a728-797474d4e421. We have an appointment to visit this breeder's home Friday morning. The 2nd breeder is the PathSeeker Kennels at Big Hounds Creekout out of Kenbridge, VA and this pup's profile can be seen at https://puppies.com/listings/73524910-e1c7-4f7e-8f90-fd6f6e6a09d4. (This 2nd GS breeder is quite a distance from us yet has stated she will bring the pup to us this Sunday...for an extra $100 fee of course. We're not opposed to paying this simply because my old 1988 van is a bit nerve-wrecking for me to drive. Yes it is still functioning well; but it is just so old..... And yes this does cause a bit of anxiety in our not being able to see this pup's parents.)

If anyone in here are familiar with one or both of these breeders I sure would appreciate knowing something about them. Thank you

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update.......
We went over to look at the puppy near us this morning and my son fell in love it; so we bought it. (This pup let us know she did not want to leave her siblings; however, when David placed her on the floor at his feet, she laid down and rested for the rest of the drive.) Prior to bringing this pup home we took it by the vet's office and made sure she was healthy with all shots up to date; also got her a rabies shot. She was born 8-3-22 and is sable in color and her name is "Sasha".

Picking Sasha up:
Sasha is part of a litter of 7 pups, being the only sable one there. The breeder took her out of his kennel placing her on the ground outside. She ran around saying hello to the other 2 shepherds that were loose in the yard; then ran around her kennel where she and the other puppies were obviously wanting her back in with them. The breeder picked her up and both David and I held her awhile. She was not at all frightened and was simply sweet natured. When David put a leash on her it became obvious she had never had one on before; still she showed no signs of being fearful with it on...just obviously would prefer it not be. She rode very well in the floor next to David's legs as we drove almost an hour to get her to the vet.

Upon arriving at our home I drove the van on down and parked it in our yard while David introduced this pup to Cujo and Valentina. Cujo was friendly and Valentina growled some whenever the pup wanted to get near her. Sasha was not at all frightened of either dog. David then lead that pup over 300 ft down our drive to the trailer without problems.

Sasha was interested in all that was on the place; and showed no signs of being intimated by any of them. The goats stayed away from her yet the guineas all flew across the acreage to check her out. ROFL The guineas circled this pup yet did not attempt to hurt it. Sasha would have chased them had she not still been on a leash.

We invited her to climb the back steps and it became obvious she had never climbed steps before; so she was carried past the 1st 3 and put down. She turned and went back down the steps without problems; and did not want to come back up them. So David carried her all the way up. She was offered fresh water, which she refused. Then she was offered some of the puppy chow the breeder had sent with her. She ate that as fast as she could and wanted more. She winded up eating almost half a cup of this chow; then we added the puppy chow we had purchased to that pan and she ate all of it as well. LOL All total she ate about 1-1/2 cups of puppy chow. (She will be given more later today.)

We then kept the leash on her and attached it to the porch in such a way that the pup could not hurt herself in any way. Then David and I came into the house. Not once has this pup complained. Instead, she laid down on one of the older dogs' bed. About an hour later David decided she should be with him while he freshened up all the outdoor watering pans. Then he will take her for a walk around the parameter of our homestead (like he did Valentina when we first brought her home). Sasha is walking extremely well on that leash now (only a 6' one) though she keeps circling David's feet. (Not sure what that's about as I cannot recall a canine doing that before.) Then tonight I suspect David will want her to spend the night in our house, as to exactly where I have no idea. Guess we'll play that by ear....

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update...
Sasha spent the night quite well...as long as she could stay at David's feet. He placed an old throw rug next to his bed and she went to sleep on it. (It is looking like she is seeing David as her daddy now. LOL) He was up often during the night with her; and sometime during the night and twice the following day Sasha peed on the floor. grrrrrrrrrrrrr That evening (2nd day of her being here) was a turning point in that Sasha has not peed in the house once. She has not had a bowel movement in the house at all. (She has started going to the back door, whining if it is shut or pushing thru if it is screened. Then she climbs down the steps, goes out about 20 feet to where the retainer wall is and that is where she has decided to both pee and move her bowels.) Here it is nearing Sunday evening and it is starting to look as though Sasha has house broken herself. (Our other dogs did the same thing. Not sure as to why.)

It is becoming apparent both Cujo and Valentina are "permitting" this puppy to stay, even sleep on their beds...as long as they are not sleeping there. Cujo can no longer get up the stairs; so Sasha has decided his bed is hers. When she is on the back porch that is where she will lay. (Valentina has the other bed and will growl when Sasha acts as though she is wanting to get onto Valentina's bed. At such time Sasha will back off though it is obvious she is not frightened.) All 3 dogs eat near each other respectfully and Sasha is simply fed more often. (David insists on giving her 1/4 cup of goat milk after each of her meals. LOL)

So far we have noticed characteristics we both like in this canine, i.e. alertness, caution, sweet nature with assertiveness. We've also seen her pass by the fowl outdoors and though being very alert they are there, has not chased them. (Of course this may change as she grows because Shepherds do have prey drives and the fowl are quite active.) She spends most of her time indoors yet will venture through the door curtain often, lay on the back porch often, go down the steps to do her business and even go outside to check out noises she hears. I've seen her sit on the porch looking out over the yard and adjacent pasture watching quite alert when Valentina is out there barking at an unseen entity. So I suspect she will copy Valentina's example of guarding the place...at least this is my hope.

At this time Sasha will often come into my bedroom and has tried to get on my bed 3 times, though has not for over 24 hrs now. She prefers to sleep in David's room.....I'm so grateful as all our other dogs have preferred to sleep in my room all these years; and with a puppy I sure don't need to be stumbling over her. She comes into my bedroom, checks it out then leaves again...has not slept in there! (Of course, at times Valentina continues to come in and sleep in my room for short periods of time. Not sure what this is about as she is still so alert at what goes on outdoors; and there is not much real unhealthy about me at this time.)

Sasha plays with one of David's old shirts and a store-bought toy she throws around. She will "attempt" to play with anything she can get into her mouth, though David is quite good at stopping that! And she has a "milk bone" she enjoys. (Her teeth are still going from baby to adult; so I know this is bothering her.)

All in all my son and I are both quite pleased with this pup!

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updating...
What is becoming obvious is that Sasha prefers to stay around David; and whatever he does or wherever he goes she is right there with him. However, it is just as obvious Sasha wants to know where I am. Today is one example: She was laying at David's feet then got up and went across the living room, across the kitchen and down the hall. David got up thinking she wanted to go outdoors; but he discovered what she wanted was to go directly into my bedroom. (I had been in the living room all this time.) When she didn't see me there she returned to the living room; and when she found me came over with tail wagging wanting pets. (Not real sure what this is about as I thought, if a shepherd is the type that chooses "one" human to bond with, it pretty much ignores all other humans. However, this is obviously not the case with Sasha. My belief about this, of course, could be wrong. This just confuses me. In the past the canines have all chosen to be near me most, i.e. sleeping in my room and following me around....all except one many years ago which was a stray David brought home and was the first canine to live on our place. So Sasha's obvious bonding with David yet desire to keep tabs on me is a bit confusing to me.)

Here it is nearing Monday morning and, still, Sasha has not peed in the house anymore. (She has never moved her bowels in here.)

She is scratching; so I'm thinking I need to probably find something for "fleas" though I've not seen any on her. Will check this out the next time I'm at Southern States. Perhaps there is something to put on her back between her shoulders like what we place on the two adult dogs only this time for a pup weighing only 22 lbs.

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
Is her skin really dry looking? It's possible she has allergies. I had a dog that was allergic to corn long before dog/corn allergies were big news.

Or it could be mites. Our rabbits once got a horrid case of fur mites from pine shaving bedding.

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sasha's skin does not appear to be dry.

We've had Sasha now since last Friday around noon. She has never had a bowel movement in the house; and the only time she has peed in the house (except for the 3 times during her 1st 24 hrs with us) is when it was raining. She did not want to go out into the rain to pee.

She is now being fed along side the other 2 canines and no longer does she sit watching until they have finished eating. She goes ahead and eats out of her dish while the other 2 are eating out of theirs. Today something quite different occurred. After Sasha eats David brings her into the house and offers her about 1/2 cup of goat milk, which she loves. Only this time she was licking the little bowl so much it was moving around the kitchen. I popped off telling David, "It wouldn't surprise me if she picked up that bowl and brought it in to get more milk." AND LOW AND BEHOLD: Here comes that 3 month old pup into the living room carrying that bowl. ROFL

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updating....

At this time Sasha is subordinate to Valentina. Valentina does not want Sasha in her space and will growl, show teeth and bark in an aggressive manner when Sasha tries to get too close. Knowing Valentina as I do I know this is not an aggressive (attempt to bite) behavior; but definitely is a dominate one. At this time it is fine because Valentina is an LGD and Sasha is a GS (with a prey drive that will more than likely show up); so Valentina's being the alpha is a good thing.

The concern I have is that, during the above-described situation, Sasha has backed off yet not at all been intimidated nor shown any signs of fear. Yes this is a good thing; however, I'm thinking ahead when Sasha gets into her adolescents. I do not want a fight for dominance between those two canines.

Am I being overly concerned? (David and I are presently teaching Sasha to be respectful of "our" controls...the typical ones all pups need to learn...without squashing her assertiveness. Yet will this be enough to stop any real blown-out fights later on should Sasha decide she wants to be dominant?) It has become obvious to us that Sasha was the subordinate pup in her litter simply by the way she "use" to behave when fed along side the other 2 canines; so maybe this will remain a comfortable place for her to be even as she develops; thus, my concerns may not even be warranted.

Any information and/or suggestions would be appreciated in this regard.

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This puppy is a little stinker!!! The back door was open (just a curtain hanging) and I was trying to rest on my bed. David was outdoors working on an area that needed a bit of fencing repair (under the front deck) so Sasha will no longer be able to get thru it and upon the front deck. I hear a noise and in comes Sasha....She heads toward the other end of the trailer where David's bed is, picks up his house shoe, carries it all the way down the trailer to the back door, around my end of the trailer and all the way down the outside of the trailer to where David was working under the front deck. There she lays it down and starts chewing on it. ROFL Of course this is not ok so David had to stop what he was doing to tend to the matter. Sasha grabs the house shoe and runs out from under that deck, flops on the ground and looks at David with that house shoe still in her mouth. ROFL David had to get out from under the deck to take the shoe from her. He brought it in the house with Sasha following him, puts it in his bedroom, turns around to go back outside to finish what he was doing and there is Sasha pulling on his jacket that had been slung over a chair. Of course the chair falls over and she was startled but not at all frightened. David said, "Ok, that's it!" and kicked her out of the house. ROFL (Well not actually "kick" but shushed her out!) ROFL

This reminded me so much of the stunts Valentina use to pull when she was a puppy! Sure wish I had it on video!

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updating....
I was resting when I heard the dogs run down the back stairs........ Sasha was barking and growling for the first time since we've had her. I jumped up and looked out the door. There were both Valentina and Sasha in the middle of the eastern pasture looking toward the fence. Sasha sat down and just watched while Valentina stood there watching. I saw nothing! (Since Valentina and Cujo have already intimidated everything around our homestead I figured it was another would-be intruder who decided it was best to disappear. ROFL ) Eventually both dogs returned to the upper knoll of our yard with Sasha following Valentina. It appears Sasha has chosen Valentina as her mentor. ROFL (Cujo of course slept thru the entire thing due to his inability to hear.)

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm really appreciating this puppy! She is such a respectful canine and learns so quickly!

Today was our first trip into town after purchasing Sasha. We left her loose of course trusting her to stay with Valentina and not venture away from the trailer or barn area (and not to bother any fowl). (David had already taken her out to the front gate the day before, leaving her on the inside while he went past the gate on up to get the mail and back. She did fine with that.) Still I was concerned because we still have a portion of our fencing the neighbor's tree had smashed that needs repair. (Valentina can climb over it easily ... and did for awhile ... only to return the same way. However, she has not done so for months now.) I was still concerned Valentina might decide to venture over that fenced area and that Sasha might follow her.... However, my concerns were unwarranted because, upon our return (about 1-1/2 hrs later) there were the 2 grown canines waiting for us just inside the gate; and upon parking the van we found Sasha on the back porch of the trailer. :)

Sure am liking the fact Sasha can think for herself and does not always need to be where the other canines are. Still she often makes an attempt to play with and cuddle with Valentina. Valentina is permitting this .... to an extent .... yet commands respect from this pup at the same time. This means the pup cannot play rough house with Valentina.... (I did see Valentina jump in a playful manner ONCE, so she may come around to playing with this pup. Until then Sasha has had to make do with the toy we brought her and the items she finds around the yard to chew/play with. One of her favorites being a 4" rock. LOL Oh she is also partial to David's house shoe whenever she gets a chance to sneak in and grab it. ROFL )

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updating ....

Well we've started having problems with Sasha! She is grabbing whatever she wants to chew on. She is only 5 months old; so we know some of this is still puppy behavior; yet it is becoming a nuisance. Yesterday she literally chewed the end off the water hose; and this morning she destroyed one of my plastic posts. David of course corrects her when he catches her doing something like this but often she does it while he is not around and it would be senseless to correct her after the fact. So what to do??? (I don't ever remember any of my other canines tearing things up like this pup is doing!) Any suggestions would be appreciated...............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts