I've over done it....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pasotami, Sep 9, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I know that we all do this from time to time and thought it would be nice to know what others do when they just plain over do it - you know the feeling, you come in beat, sore from head to toe, and all you want is a hot shower and to get flat. What do you do to make yourself feel better when you have over done it.

Today it found one of my foaling stalls being flooded by an automatic waterer and knowing that since this one is full of water it has migrated to the neigboring stalls. Theses are 18 x 20' stalls with a mare and foal in each.... 3 stalls full of wet, heavy shavings and manure at least 4 inches deep.... then I found an 8x8 stall flooded also with a young colt in it.... Nope, they can't spend the night that way.... anyone to help? Nope, not a soul but me is home so here I go..... now I'm paying for it - back is singing a really bad tune. So I have turned on a very hot shower, made a cup of green and chammomile tea, taken my Advil, and now I'm sitting wondering where the heating pad went too and just how hard it will be to move in the morning..... I should have known better... :nono:

2. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Mineral Ice (like Ben Gay but better). That stuff works wonders! Hope you feel better!

Sometimes I use the heating pad for 30 min. then ask my wife to use the "thumper" on me. The thumper is a vibrating hand massager... fell like a champ in the morning!

:cool:

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a clean sock fill it with rice throw it in the microwave for 2 min and lay one it. I have dusa and it takes the pain away in 15 seconds. I have a beer to help my muscles relax. and then sleep on the couch where noones knee will be in my back. I steped in a hole with two armfulls of wood to be stacked. I wrenched my back well.

4. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

A hot shower feels good, but ice will help reduce inflamation. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off (& on somewhere else). Put a thin towel between you & the ice pack to keep from getting frost-bite.

Sorry about the flood. It is a rotten thing to find a mess like that and be the grown-up that has to deal with it...

cathryn

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

1. Install a spa. Soak before going to bed.
    2. Get one of those mattress heater under-the-sheet blankets. Turn it on for about 30 minutes before you go to bed. If the weather's warm, turn it off before you go to sleep. If it's chilly, leave it on low all night. REALLY helps the creaking joints!

6. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Pastomi

your horses at least know you care. If thats any consolation

7. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Ibuprofen and tomato soup, followed by a hot bath and a good night's sleep. And the next morning, more ibuprofen and a big glass of orange juice. You'll feel better sooner if you stay well hydrated, so drink lots of water. Been there, done that!

8. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I've survived the night, up only once. Sore, yep but nothing I don't think more work will not stretch out. Speaking of stretching - I spent 20mins. last night after the Mineral Ice working on stretching my back. I really think it did a lot of good. I took a hot shower before hand. I'm not a limber person so this was a slow chore - I should do more of it.
    Thanks for all of your insight. Sounds like we all have been there a time or two.

9. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Sorry you got stuck with mucking out the stalls. The horses will love you for it! Hope you feel better.

This thread gets me to thinking that a "home remedies" thread might be something of interest or use. Something to think about in any case.

Pat

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Physical therapist taught me some excercises to do before I get out of bed and they really help. The best one is, you pull your knees up to your chest and then move them from one side to the other to flex those back muscles. Start gently and work till the knees are almost to the mattress on each side, keeping the knees together. Then straighten your legs and pull your knees back to your chest several times. THEN get out of bed.

11. magnolia2017

magnolia2017 Well-Known Member

I usually take a long hot bath and then apply horse linament to the sore areas and sleep with a heating pad.

Maggie

12. 4nTN

4nTN Well-Known Member

Hey Neighbor you could have called me...I would have helped :)

I`m here in Johnson County...how bout` you?