Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over this past couple of months, maybe less, I've had 7 kittens die. They were all around two to three weeks old, from different litters, and it happened at different times. The first two took about 3-4 days to die. I just kept trying to bottle feed them and they kept getting weaker until I took them to the vet and he put them to sleep. After those two died, the others all died quickly within 24 hours. They just started getting listless, and stopped eating and died by next morning.

Well, it had been several days since I had any die and this morning I woke up and my last remaining 8-week-old kitten was dead. I had given the rest of that litter away. Now that I think about it, it was this litter that the first two kittens died when they were 2-weeks-old. I should have seen the symptoms last night when it wouldn't eat and was just laying about. But I hadn't had one that old die.

As I was preparing to bury it, I remembered that a couple of days ago it had bitten me. Now I'm like 95% sure it didn't have rabies but it did bite me (playing) and then died so I called the health department and they said that I shouldn't take any chances because if I should have it, it is fatal, so I should bring the head in and they would send it off for testing. So I took it to the vet and then took the head to the health department.

My vet (the last time I saw him about my kittens and cats), this vet, who I saw today, and the lady from the health department have all told me that I should keep one or two cats that I love the most and have the rest put to sleep or took to the pound (which to me is just a way it takes longer to be put to sleep). They all came to this same conclusion after talking to me about my cat situation. The vet today says it's most likely that my kittens have been dying from flea bites having caused worms. My cats, my yard, my home, are all infested with fleas like I have never seen before. I can't afford to get them their shots, or to have the females fixed.

Deep down I know they are right. But I love these cats. They are like family to me. I'm down to two (2) three-week-old kittens (the rest died out of that litter), I have about (7) four-month-old kittens, (1) male cat (the rest were chased away by stray males coming-a-courting) and I have 5 momma cats who seem to want to be producing litter after litter. I finally managed to save up money to have one momma "fixed" and she was pregnant so we were saved from having another litter there but I'm pretty sure that two more are probably pregnant although they are not showing yet and I wish I could get them fixed. The other two are still nursing, although one of them lost her last baby this morning. Oh, I forgot, I do also have a male cat that has been "fixed" but he has been needing to go to the vet for quite awhile now and I haven't had the money to.

If I have to pick out two to keep, I'll keep the ones that are "fixed" and get rid of the rest, but it is breaking my heart and I've been crying all day. You don't have to respond to this, just need to try to get it out of my heart so I can do what I need to do.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
=== They all came to this same conclusion after talking to me about my cat situation. The vet today says it's most likely that my kittens have been dying from flea bites having caused worms. My cats, my yard, my home, are all infested with fleas like I have never seen before. I can't afford to get them their shots, or to have the females fixed. ===

Sorry you're going thru this.

Feed them all food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) daily from their first meal on.

Spread DE wherever you can, whether in your house or outside, to kill the fleas. And get some chickens if you can. They'll clean up the fleas in your yard.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
That's rough. But with less cats you will be able to take care of the remaining ones better so it will be better for you in the long run. I'm sorry that there isn't a better way.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Any chance there's something like Alley Cat Allies in your area who could assist you finnancially with getting everyone fixed? The DE would help some with the fleas and worms, and if you could do that and manage a month of Frontline or getting the yard and house bombed, maybe that would help?

·
Registered
117 Posts
AR Cattails,
I understand your predicament and I feel for you. Reducing the number of cats you have will allow you to do more for the ones you keep. For example, spending less on cat food, kitten formula for bottle feeding, and euthanasia fees might save enough money to put towards spaying and neutering the cats you keep. Have you looked into low cost clinics for spay/neuter? In the meantime, would you be able to make some sort of enclosure to keep your female cats in so they cannot keep breeding? It wouldn't have to be fancy, just scrap wood and chicken wire would work.

My best wishes.

YodelDogs

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to thank you all for your responses. I looked into seeing if the humane society could help out but we make above the minimum income limit allowed for assistance. We're just in debt over our heads and at the moment we are going through the bankruptcy process. But, no help with the spaying and neutering. There is no other place around here, that I know of, that offers assistance.

I lost another kitten last night. This one was murdered by a possum. A friend of my sons was leaving and stepped back into the house and said that he saw a possum running across my yard with a kitten in his mouth. First off, I was furious with him for not trying to run after it and hollering, anything to try to get it to drop the kitten. But he's like that. Doesn't really care about anything. Then I spent the next few hours crying and hardly got any sleep last night. All I could see was this kitten hurting and crying and trying to get out of the possum's mouth. :Bawling:

Rogo, thanks for the info about the food grade DE. I haven't heard of it and googled it. Sounds like what I could sure use. I like that it helps with the fly problem, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts