I've got a dairy goat now!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

We just went and picked up a nearly 2 year old alpine doe. She's even ADGA registered, and very sweet. You wouldn't think she wasn't bottle fed. She loves our two neibor boys, 3 and 2 years old. It's so cute, she loves them too. The woman had to get rid of this goat asap, she has a newborn now, and needed her gone. That's why she was only 50.00. She had never been milked before and is drying up after kidding in may. But her udder was lopsided and one side looked a little full so I milked her out... All that came out was clear liquid so she is dry and since I think the one side may have been slightly mastitic, I infused a tube of ToMorrow into each side. She was great, easy to milk, nice big teats... Simply wonderful. She didn't care either. She just sat there and watched me. I was amazed for her being a first-timer! I know it's crazy when I try to milk out my pygmy does... arg.
    Right now she's on a tie out in our backyard. She's mainly separate because I don't want to integrate her right now. I need to get all my goats tested for CL and CAE soon anyways, which i hope to get the blood drawn next weekend anywho, so I'll get her tested then too. After I get the results back they'll be integrated. I can't wait to breed her and milk her!
    Oh, anybody got any one of these bucks in MI? All i've got is my minaitures, but I'd like to breed to one of these if possible :
    ADGA Alpine
    boer
    ADGA Nigerian Dwarf

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds great!....my alpine is hardier and meaner and the queen but also the best forager, mother and largest quantity of milk compared to Nubians or nubian alpine cross...she also bites ears(of other goats) which I've heard to be a distinctive Alpine naughty behavior..she is VERY good for me but not always cooperative for the children :shrug:

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

She is very good with our neibors kids; and used to them where she came from. I couldn't be happier with her. Man, are those teats HUGE compared to my minis!!!
    Now I just gotta find a buck to breed her to in the next couple months... I can breed her to a mini buck, but I'd rather do the boer, alpine, or nigerian buck if I can, lol.