I've fallen in love with Zipper Peas!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mid Tn Mama, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Just had some at a party that someone grew and froze from last season.

Boy! I thought crowders and field peas were good, these are wonderful! I must grow them. Any one grow them? Not many suppliers carry these, apparantly they are heirlooms. The seed catalog I found them in said they were bush, not climbing. Any experience out there?

2. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

No but they sound interesting.

3. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

Haven't grown them but get them at the local farmers market. They are wonderful and so easy to shell!!! Give them to me any day over a butter bean!! I hate shelling them things!! :rolleyes:

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I notice the comparison to butter beans--are they more like a shell pea? or are they similar to a lima bean? I'm hoping you say lima--then i'll plant them instead, cause i hate shelling limas.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what they look like fresh, only cooked. They tasted "creamy" as they are in fact that type of bean. Not as dry as Lima. Maybe a creamy cross between a field pea and a green pea? They are round and larger than a green pea but only faintly green. Oh so yummy! You do shell them, but my friend said that they are easier to shell because of the "zipper" that you pull to open. Like the string in a bean.

6. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I saw some at Victory Seed Company. Said sold out until 1-2007. This is new to me too.:)

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Is the variety name actually "zipper peas?"
    If not, what is it? And where is Victory Seed Co....do you have a web site or address?
    Ann

8. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

9. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

They are a pea I was just saying I hate to shell butter beans!!! :) I always end up with a dang blister on finger after shelling a couple bushels of them! Zippers are a pea that when cooked stay green. They are very very tastey and could make a meal out of them with some corn bread!!

10. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I just typed zipper peas in the google search and Victory Seed popped up. I think I got my sweet potatoes plants from them.

11. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I ordered some zipper peas from Seedman...now will need good recipes! Was most interested in the varieties of sorghum they had as our neighbor will let us use his press....he makes the most delicious syrup that we've been trading our honey for. DEE

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

If you like the zipper peas, try the edible podded ones. We planted Cascadia from Stokes. It's listed as a Snap Pea but the pod is very tender and you can eat them when mature vs. the Snow Pea which has to be eaten when young.
    http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

But, to warn you, the deer LOVE them.