I've decided I don't trust my vet.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

K so after some sketchy 'treatments' they've prescribed and thier general lack of knowledge of goats and even common health/veterinary terms, I don't trust my current vet. I don't think there is another livestock vet close by. Thank god I have this forum!

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I know what you mean. It is real hard to find a real good goat vet around here to :shrug: .

Thank goodness that a vet close to me specializes in goats pretty much and she has been raising her own for like 20 so years (maybe a little less). Her name is Dr. Laurie Acton. And one of my real good goat friends was a vet tech. So I am lucky I guess....like I said finding a good smart GOAT vet is hard and rare these days :shrug: :hobbyhors .

Sorry you are having so much trouble mygoat. I can only imagine how FRUSTRATING it must be.........*sigh*.....even then I hate going to vets as they charge a arm and a leg :grump: . Did you know I got quoted a price for disbudding...it was about $25 PLUS a $50 visit fee...can you imagine paying that for every kid you have to disbud *faints :help: . I think we all would have horned goats :nono: . Lol its just nuts I tell you...so in some ways it is so nice to not be tempted by a vet :rolleyes: .

MotherClucker

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

dona you are right, it is nice to have a place like this forum to look for help. unfortunately you still need a vet. this forum is can't replace a vet. there will be a time you need prescription drugs, what are you doing in this case?
    do you already have your own microscope to do your own fecal testing? what in case of difficult kidding and your doe needs c-section?
    you need to work with your vet and buit a relation ship. it is not necessary to agree every time with him. learn as much about goat husbandry as you can and tell your vet what you know so he can learn too.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well I realize that, I'm not going to just stop calling them. Whenever something is worong i usually call them... But they've given me too many funky answers for me to trust them any more.
    The C section wouldn't matter anyway, the doe/kids wouldn't make it; The nearest facility is at least an hour-and-something away. (at least that's what my vet said...) We'd probably make the drive anyway...

5. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

This isn't such an uncommon situation...Better to learn as much as possible for yourself & use them for the essential meds..I've found that other goatkeepers & the feed store serve as well most of the time..A clinic vet here told a friend that it was too late to dehorn her kids with an iron at 2 weeks. He said "3 days & 3 seconds was the prescribed way to disbud"..Of course we knew better from experience & did it ...Now that vet has goats on a farm & made the remark in a local farm paper about" how much there was to learn about goats."..right down to them getting stuck in woven wire due to horns...I've not had anything but a couple milk does with kids & have learned more right here than anywhere else...Jeffers livestock catalog is a great resource for meds & info.. GrannieD

6. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

Dona, I have to agree. There is a vet in my area that will see goats, but doesn't really want to. I use vets as least as possible, since it is not cost effective. But, I won't hesitate to load them up and take them to the vet if need be. And I know you wouldn't either. Just as you were, I am making a statement that I don't trust my vet, but that doesn't mean that my animals (or yours) will suffer or do without the necessary care because of it.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry that your vet is a little wacked when it comes to goats. We don't have a goat vet anywhere near us, in an emergency we could go to St. Pete to my great uncles vet clinic, but that's such a long way away, even then I'm not sure he would be able to do anything. Our best bet is our neighbor, the one with the murderous dog, he helped pull a dead kid out before, and he's all ways the one we call when we need help or something bad happens. He's a good neighbor, with the exception of his dog.

8. pokyone42

pokyone42 Well-Known Member

Near Bath NY.. dumb name for a town, huh?
    heck!!!! we live in total FARM country! And apparently, our vet doesn't even know COWS! lol..(I soitanly ain't gonna trust them with goats! lol)

Had them disbud our baby steers, (cuz I was too scared doing an animal that large) and they both have LONGGGGGGG BEAUTIFUL horns! lol.. dangerous, tho pretty......ugh...they both have tiny marks on the longgg horns... from the "disbudding." lol

I have since worked up the courage to dehorn our next calves... I tell myself, well... I can't do any worse than HE did! If I can do baby goats, then I can do baby cows....so there! lol

So, I learn as much as I can about goats, and so far.. have not needed their services.. (they even goofed up on spaying our PUPPY!!!!!! not enuff sutures, but she recovered okay, fortunately. lol) I am NOT gonna give them any more money to botch things up....!