I've been scammed!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MorrisonCorner, Jul 14, 2006.

1. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Heads up people who have websites with breeding animals listed for sale... I've been scammed!

I was contacted by someone named Samson asking about my moorit ram. I responded with a hefty (basically a "discouraging") price on the ram because I only want to sell him if I can get some serious money for him, and offered one of his offspring at a lower price.

They came back and said they'd take the younger ram and that they were from... Nigeria. They'd arrange transport. They are interested in introducing the breed to Nigeria.

Can you say "yea right?" I'm quite sure the next email is going to ask for my bank account so they can wire transfer the money.

This is seriously sophisticated scamming which required looking over my website and getting quite specific. The first email was correctly spelled with appropriate grammer. The second was not.

Glad I didn't really want to sell that ram!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Sadly there are folks who will give them what they want..

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

More likely you would receive a bank cashier-type check (perhaps drawn on a foreign bank) for significantly more than the agreed to sales price. You would then be asked to cash it and to immediately send the extra to a third party (actually back to them) for transportation. Check/payment will turn out to be counterfeit.

4. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

That's the old counterfeit cashier's check scam. Guy tried that on me with a Paso Fino Horse I had up for sale once.

He wanted to send me a cashier's check for twice the price I was asking. Then, He wanted me to send the extra back to him via western union so he could pay his shippers. They would arrange pick-up and shipping.

He used some excuse that he could only draw one cashier's check per month, so he had to do it this way.

The tip-off to me was that he asked NO "horse" type questions about the filly and he kept referring to the horse as "the item". Tipped me that it was a form letter spammed to untold 1000's of various sellers.

What happens is, your bank sees "Cashier's Check" and approves it. You send him the western union difference, and several weeks later your bank calls and asks you to return the money because the cashier's check is a fake.

Basically it works like this: He sends me play money and I send him real money. Glad you dodged it.

There are several "Scam" sites on the internet...do a google for "internet scams" and you can read up on all the latest. As I said, this one is several years old...could be it's making a comeback...

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

A friend of mine selling pomeranian puppies got hit with this one, too. She didn't bite either.

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

It's a scam that's been around for a while. I figure anything that comes from Nigeria should be viewed with great scrutiny.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone tried this on a friend who was selling her Land Rover. Her DH knew it was a fraud, and told the guy to go ahead and send the check -- which he promptly turned into the bank so they could investigate.

I wouldn't have even gone that far. There was an interesting article about this a while back. Seems there are many levels to this fraud, and that people in other countries think that all Americans are rich and greedy, so they/we deserve to get scammed.

No matter where they live, some people will justify their larceny by blaming others.

Pony!

8. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

I just got one of those a week or so ago because I have an ad to sell the Catahoula puppy in a couple of places. I had read about it before- here, of course!- so I just didn't respond.

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Hey have some fun with them!!!! I play them even longer than they play me, gives me a good giggle to pull one over on the bad guys.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Nigeria seems to come up often in email scams. I've gotten spams like reading sob stories from Nigeria that I promptly delete. Luckily my spam blocker ejects them automatically now. Romania can be another problem country, or it was a couple years ago. Always be wary of any Russian email contacts, too. Basically be cautious and keep your antenna's perked. Common sense is usually the best indicator for yourself.

11. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

This happened to my sister this spring on a roommate. Unfortuneately she didn't tell me about it, bit, and lost $3500.

She had signed up for a roommate finding service in Denver. The service was supposed to screen, get references, and make sure the roommate was on the up and up. The gal was supposedly a US native, living now in Holland. She sent my sis a note saying her currrent employer still owed her money. To get the money out of Holland, would Vonda take her deposit, first and last months rent out of the payroll check and wire her the rest.

My sis took the check to her bank, deposited it, and told them she would not touch it until the bank told her it had completely cleared and the funds were there to cover it. 3 days later they told her it had, and she wired off the money. The scammer was good, had references, current and future employers listed, arrival dates, everything. The roommate finding service was no help, just said, don't know how this happened, sorry.

When the bank called with the "problem", they told her that people are getting hit with variations of this scam to the tune of 10 a week at that one branch. They do have a policy of not releasing funds for 6 weeks or until money is actually in hand. Why they told my sis it was there no one knows. But she was stuck for the money. Not their problem.

sigh.
    Cheryl

12. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you the one who said she replies to the "your share will be 50% of the twenty zillion dollars if you just help us get the money out of the country"? The prolific wanna be scams from foreign extremely, extremely weathly heirs of sometimes cpas of recently deceased CEO's who had stashed huge bank accounts "someplace", sometimes grief stricken whatevers. Someone posted a while back that she would answer these pleas and was greatly entertained. I gave her a five star standing ovation and thought it was very amusing. Well, still do and think of her everytime I delete one.

13. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

I get the same kinda e-mails in response to ads for my snakes. :flame:

14. Ken Scharabok

The stashed money scams work a bit different in that there are 'officials' who need to be bribed in order for the money to be released. They will be a constant stream of additional officials needing to be bribed (and they will definitely be the last one before the monies are freed up).

(And I seem to recall some cases of people going there carrying cash who ended up being murdered.)

Much the same for the lotteries or sweepstakes, but it may be you have to pay a winner's tax before the money or item can be released. For an item there may also be shipping charges.

If you have an eBay store you can also get hit up with a 'business proposition'. They have a client in 'an Africian country - read Nigeria' who is in desperate need of merchandise such as you sell. Some want you to send the initial inventory via expeditied shipment on consignment. Some will send you one of those fake bank cashier's checks with the expedited shipping cost in it and then arrange for UPS pick up shortly after it arrives. You're holding what looks like good payment and UPS is there (or will come back the next day) so the temptation is to ship. In the first instance when UPS doesn't get paid for having made the delivery they will come after you for payment.

If you are an eBay selling assistant you can also get hit up. You may be approached by someone needing to sell their collection of something (say comic books) quickly and for one reason or another cannot do it themselves. They may say the collection is worth $6,000, but they only need $1,000 of that. You can keep anything over that. When the auction closes you send them the $1,000 and they make shipment to the buyer - which doesn't happen. When the buyer doesn't receive the merchandise they will come back after you for the full amount.

In the case of Nigeria many are very well education (and computer literate) with very little in country job opportunities. The most lucurative jobs are government ones with the potential for bribes as supplement pay. English is pretty well equal in usage to the native languages. Most of the Americans they see are oil workers who are indeed very well paid not only for working in a foreign country but drawing hazardous duty incentives as well. The current Nigerian government says they are trying to crack down on these scammers (as it affects all trade with Nigeria) but little, if anything, is apparently being done.

15. MorrisonCorner

You know, you've got to feel sorry for anyone in Nigeria trying to put together a legitimate business deal. Suppose this guy was for real, and genuinely wants to introduce sheep to his area (not likely, but let's stretch). As soon as I saw "Nigeria" I was outta this one!

What I don't understand is why they aren't bright enough to say "Kansas" instead of "Nigeria." If it is a scam, and a yahoo address, how the heck am I going to know the difference?

16. Ken Scharabok

In most cases just look at the extender on their e-mail addy. For example it might be yahoo.uk or yahoo.ni. Some may be clever enough to route into a U.S. based system and not have an extender. In addition to Nigeria and Romania I have also received scam contacts from Australia and New Zealand.

On the third party money transfer for shipping all the ones I have seen have been in England.

On KS vs Nigeria, within the U.S. question would be why don't you pick the livestock up yourself.

Keep in mind it can take 4-6 weeks for a foreign cashier-type check to be returned as being counterfeit.

17. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Basically, you don't give them the item until you are certain it has cleared. Make sure if they give you a cert check that the bank is here in the US and is a legitimate bank. We had someone do this when we bought a car. He wanted to know the issuing bank before the check came so he could check it out.

You didn't get scammed though. You were smart enough to spot the hoax. Years ago I spent hours for one scammer trying to find out shipping costs before I decided I'd had enough and told him to figure it out himself if he wanted it.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This type scam was what the woman who killed her minister husband fell into, to the tune of $17.5K when all was said and done. She killed her husband over it. :( There are so many warnings across the Internet one would think these scams were common knowledge by now.

19. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

MC..
    Something to think about ..Maybe they know more about you than you think! :p :p :p

Because ..How in the world did they ever figure out which of your websites was the real one?

20. MorrisonCorner

Ah.. and now you see why it was so easy to spot! Isn't it useful to have research sites out there so you can see what your clients are facing...