Itsy Bitsy spiders!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bladesmith, May 24, 2005.

1. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Ok, enough's enough. For the last several days, every evening around 10 pm or so, these clusters of tiny little spiders start congregating in our kitchen, then proceed to balloon through the house. Where the heck are they coming from? We sprayed and sprayed, and the keep showing up. How do we get rid of the little buggers?

2. Baskar

Baskar Well-Known Member

If they have thin bodies and long legs in the spring ending up with a fat belly in the fall, they're house spiders. Good luck getting rid of them. Myself, I shriek. I'm terrified of spiders and snakes.

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

They won't hurt you. Why don't you put them outside?

4. Bladesmith

these things are tiny! I mean pinhead size! The cluster in groups of 50-100 plus! little webs all over the place. Last night there was a solid mass of them on the paper towel dispenser about the size of my hand. Weird!

5. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you are have spiders hatching. Baby spiders do this the first couple of days after hatching. Most likely garden or house spiders that layed eggs in small cracks around the house. The best way to get rid of them is to get the vacumn out and suck them up, also vacumn around windows, and curtains, anywhere a spider might hide. Good luck.

6. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

The baby spider silk is called "gossamer". Ballooning is something they do right after hatching/ I would worry more about Momma still being around?

7. Baskar

Baskar Well-Known Member

Sounds like a spider egg ball hatched.

8. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Yep, ever seen/read Charlette's Web? That's just what is happening now. I'd just toss the clumps outside and enjoy fewer mosquitoes this summer ;-)

9. Bladesmith

S'ok I gots a flamethrower with Momma's name on it. Did I mention I'm an arachniphobe?

10. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Mama's likely already passed. Many of the smaller spiders only live for a year. Really don't get why people are so fearful of spiders and snakes anyhow.

11. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Roughinit,

i'm scared because imagine if they come and crawl over you in the night. I'm definitely scared of them, but am not so afraid to not use hubby's shoe on them (that took years).

12. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

this is true. spiders are a beneficial insect, eating lots of other small, NON-beneficial insects. mama spiders die in the fall after laying their eggs.

having said that, i'd rather face a snake than a big hairy spider, so i will leave the room. 99% of the time they are gone when i get back.

works for me! :haha: .

13. Baskar

Baskar Well-Known Member

Well, I got scared of Snakes, Spiders, and big ole' Black Ants when I was around 11 years old. At that time, our roof was flat. Now, imagine years of heavy rainfall.

One day, I was rudely awakened by the roof over my bed crashing down on me. Guess what else landed on me? That's right. Spiders, snakes, and Big ole ants. Needless to say, I was seriously freaked out. In fact, I didn't sleep in my room for 6 months, even after the roof was fixed. Too many danged nightmares.

I know how ya feel blade..and I hope I'm not spooking ya too much...however, I thought you'd be interested in this little tidbit. Do you ever wake up in a coughing fit for apparently no reason at all? Well, it's for a very good reason. Spiders...and that's all I'll say. If I go into details, I'll give myself nightmares.

14. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

We have spiders every where in the house I don't mind them. In fact I was able to break a few kids fear of spider by showing them that they don't hurt you when you pick them up (I was getting really tired of the screaming every time they saw one), we don't have any black widows or fiddle backs up here unless they come in the bannanas. But I have found tansy hung around your house will help,( it emits a smell they don't like I guess, grandpa told me) when I lived in an basement apartment this is what I used and it seemed to keep the population down.
    In an old reader's digest there was a story about spiders it said you are never more than 3 feet away from a spider, cause they are every where so I've learned to live with them.