It's that time again.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by thequeensblessing, Oct 13, 2006.

1. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again. It's pretty chilly out there, and we're scheduled to slaughter 3 of our hogs tonight so we can butcher them this weekend. Another month or so and we'll be firing up the smoke-house! It's a lot of work, but knowing we raised them, slaughtered and butchered them, and cured and smoked them ourselves sure makes it all worth while!

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it too!! I love the smell of wood smoke in the fall. :)

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

We will be doing our 2 pigs the last week of October if the outside temps are cold enough. The smokehouse is ready to go! :dance: :dance: :dance:

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

sounds like your work is cut out for you. I always liked to have my wifes brothers helping but now that will not be an option in AR. maybe when the kids get old enough they can help.

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

WOW! I have a butcher do my pigs, but we have thought about doing it ourselves. I can't figure how to get the right set up though. Good for you!

kids

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Does not take much of a set up my DW's brothers use to kill mine with a knife (I was to attached to them though I have killed and butchered a bottle fed bull since then) then they just put them on some feed sacks or a tarp after bleeding them out and put burlap on them and poured hot water on them and we scraped them with a knife and cut them up it does not take special equipment I butchered my bull last NOV when I was on leave and next tiem I iwll have better tools but I did it with a knife (after shooting him between the eyes) I also used a machete on a plastic tarp out side with DW helping then we took the big peices and aged them in the barn and cut it all up on the porch. Who needs to pay a butcher?

7. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

We have not died from doing all that with out a $10,000 stainless steel hygenic FDA approved kitchen maybe our days are numbered LOL