Its still not my blood..............

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ginnie5, Dec 19, 2006.

1. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

that's what dh told me last night........Amost 2 years ago our youngest was born......major, major problems during birth. I ended up getting 12 units of blood. It seems that the last 2 years I've caught every darn bug around. it used to be I never got sick....yeah the flu once but for years I've never had more than the sniffles for a day. Now it seems I'm the first one that gets it. Never mind Mom taking care of the kids.....they're taking care of me. I told dh I really need to get my immune system built up cause it has seriously gone downhill in the last 2 years. He says the reason is I don't have my blood anymore....its someone else's. Wonder what I can do to make this "my" blood......if 2 years hasn't done it what will?

2. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

That's not how it works. I'll let someone more expertized them myself explain it in medical terms. I mean you might still not be up to par physically after your ordeal but it's not likely because of someone else's blood. The blood used had the same componets of your own, and was thoughly tested to protect not hinder your health.

Hugs
    marlene

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Oh you have your own blood of course! It's in your body and the body is always creating new blood and such. Women lose alot of blood during our monthly cycle so our body is always making new.

I think it's the traumatic incident 2 years ago that is reeking havoc on your health.

I used to be pretty healthy even at a pretty high weight. I had a bad car wreck at 17 that I got thrown around even wearing a seatbelt.

Ever since then I catch practially ever bug known to man. I never used to get rebouts of Mono until the accident. My fibro kicked in and it's been a fiddle song ever since.

Hubby was in the Army sick when they gave him Sulfa medications he's terribly allergic to. He got a fever of 105F and was hospitalized. Some years later he was hit by a car while biking and broke some bones. Ever since these two incidents (happened in about 3 years together), he's caught every flu also.

Our body's have internal clocks and I believe some things can mess up our internal balance. The only thing I can do is pray and try to take supplements to beat what's going on within me.

I hope I wasn't ranting, and that this helped.

Kat

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Your husband is mistaken. I had blood transfusions a couple of years ago and was told by my doctor friends that transfused blood lasts a very short time in the body. I'm thinking not more than a few days. It is an emergency fix only until your body has a chance to start making more blood of its own. That transfused blood is long gone.

Maybe you should have a check-up and see if you can isolate a problem. Are you eating healthy, taking your vitamins, getting enough sleep, etc.?

Perhaps you are just still run-down from trying to catch up after your ordeal and tend to your home and family. Are you getting the help you need? You might need to sit down and list some priorities of what you want/need to get done every day, and schedule time to put your feet up.

At the very least, perhaps you could delegate some things, like shopping and such, to your husband for awhile. (?) I told my husband after my ordeal (not the same as yours) that I just couldn't handle stress like before, and I decided what I could and couldn't still do. Mine are older, so for me, that meant he had to teach the next teenager to drive, and is taking up slack on Christmas shopping. Maybe think about what specific things you could ask hubby to do for you.

mary

5. ginnie5

Oh I think he knows that its "my" blood......its his way of teasing me. I do think its kinda funny the way he says it. And he does help out alot. that man loves to do laundry and can clean the kitchen better than anyone I know.......we do try to eat healthy and I take supplements. it just seems that if a bug is going around I'm going to get it. Its rather annoying when you didn't use to catch anything. when I was pregnant with #4 dh came down with the flu....and he had it bad. he was so scared for me to even come in the room. I took care of him and never got sick, even hauled him to the doctor for fluids when I knew he was getting to a bad point. That wouldn't be the case now though I'm afraid. maybe its just the fact that I'm now over 40? I don't know I just know that I don't like the idea that my healthiest years may be behind me. I may go down kicking and screaming on that one!

Oh and about going in for a checkup..........there would be kicking and screaming on that....lets just say I'm not fond of doctors. I'll take the kids when they really need to go but we're not a family that runs in for every little thing. Our family doctor knows that if I'm bringing someone in that they are sick and he better be on the ball. Over the last 10 years or so we've come to an understanding. He knows that I have very definite ideas about certain things and he respects that....at the same time I know that if he pushes me about something its a good idea to listen. He even recommends some alternative treatments now.

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

No, I don't think it's your age. I'm fifty and still don't get sick. I think it's just a phase you're going through.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Blood is created in the bone marrow, its used by the body to carry oxygen to all parts and to remove toxins. The worn out blood turns brown and is exhausted from the body, it cycles quite rapidly.

8. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Well-Known Member

The average life span of a red blood cell is 120 days.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I was an RH baby and had multiple transfusion every few weeks....finally when I was almost a year old my mother told the doctor I wouldn't need any more transfusions as the mosquitoes had finally started to dine on me. My dad always thought my strange food cravings were related to whoever donated the blood and when I would do something dumb, they could always blame it on someone else's ancestors!

10. ginnie5

LOL! the skeeters usually love me.....I can't walk out the door without a swarm attacking me but lately they're even avoiding me! Had plenty of no see ums bite this year but very few skeeters.....I KNOW they were there.....they loved the baby!

11. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

20 years ago I had an emergency hysterectomy and had to have a blood transfusion . I have a rare blood type and they had a hard time locating blood for me . I tried to refuse the blood when they finally did get some but , my doctor said that I really neede it and got my family to chime in with him . So I took the transfusion .
    Ever since then I suffer from cold sores (herpes maybe ? ) I never had them prior to the transfusion . I wonder in the hurry to get the blood they skipped some screening ?????

12. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I believe I read somewhere (or maybe saw on the Discovery Channel years ago), that your blood is completely replaced every few months. Red blood cells take quite a beating zipping around your circulatory system at the speed of light. They are dinged up and destroyed and replaced by your bone marrow at a very quick turn around. I sincerely doubt if any of the transfused blood still remains in your system.

You need to work on building up your immune system which includes lots and lots of REST. Hard to do with a two year old, I'm told. Pick up some vitamin C at the health food store and consider a good multi-vitamin supplement (ask a knowledgeable health food store person about which would be best for you). Also, try to reduce your stress level, which will also boost your immune system.

Unless you are homeschooling your children, chances are you are picking up a lot of your germs and viruses from them. They're little carriers of EVERYTHING that they come in contact with at school/daycare and other children. It is wise to reduce (or eliminate) your, and their contact with other people (especially sick ones), as much as possible.

donsgal

13. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member