Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sit here reeking of buck.
I just put my dairy bucks back into their fall/winter/spring digs. When they are in rutt, the summer pastures fence is not good enough.

Here are the dairy hussies checking out the guys.....what guy could refuse?? :shrug:

I just turned Junior in with his girls....happy dude!! I am watching closely for amorous signs.... :)

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,432 Posts
GREAT photos! Wishing everybody at your place a happy breeding season.

NeHi

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
And here I am, less then an hour south of you-BUT- instead of smelling buck and watching for heats- I'm watching bellies starting to get big LOL. (Bred seven of the does, all nubians, back in May for Oct kids) Not sure when the next go round of rut will start here? The girls that usually come in first each fall, are all bred already. Haven't had a hint of stink since the first week of June. With the heat looking like it's going to stay for a while, I'm guessing they may not start rutting again until late next month or so. I've now got to decide if I want the second wave of kidding to be in late jan/early feb as usual or wait for late march/early april (if the Ai took, the jersey will be having her calf mid-april and I'll be DROWNING in milk LOL) I'll have to hang the milk for sale up! Emily, how many of your dairy girls did you end up keeping? (I love the pic of all the girls rubbing along the fence single file. Hussies they certainly appear to be :p )
susie mo, ozarks

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Yep, my two spotted Nubian bucklings are starting to get rutty. Not smelly yet, but rutty. The bigger of the two is starting to stick his tongue out and "paw" at everything. That only means ONE thing! BABIES in FIVE MONTHS!!!! (although the women have to decide they like him first...)

I want spotted Nubians!!! Reckon I'll get 'em next year!!

(and the Kinder buck has been smelly for WEEKS...)

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
You have such lovely goaties!

I noticed the bucky smell returning yesterday, too...

I am watching my final kidder of the year... she's due any day now. I always breed for June/July/August kids so my newly rutting bucks don't get any action till Jan/Feb/March! Poor guys. :)

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
your tan guy in pics #2 and #3 is gorgeous! I think I love him!!! lol!
honestly, I wouldn't mind having one of his kids... he is a good looking guy.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yarrow said:
Emily, how many of your dairy girls did you end up keeping?
Good luck with your fall kiddings, Suzie!

We sold all but about 30 dairy does......but 40 of the does we sold are still here since the buyer is building his barn. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mamajohnson said:
your tan guy in pics #2 and #3 is gorgeous! I think I love him!!! lol!
honestly, I wouldn't mind having one of his kids... he is a good looking guy.
Hey.....I still have a couple nice kids out of him available....... ;) Thats the Sinbad man. He is getting older now....7 I think.
He has a beautiful son here who needs a place of his own! Here he is:

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Jeez Emily that one bucks testicles are the size of my girl's milk bags!! EWWW :baby04: I am so glad I am buck-less right now.
I think you have great looking goats.

Hey Gail send a spotted doeling this way, my daughter wants a brown one with white spots. She wants one that looks like a fawn. Picky ain't she!

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Me and the boys will see what we can do! I just moved them last night into a bigger pen where I had the Kinder buck (still available, btw). The Kinder is VERY bucky and the Nubians (Ben and Jerry) weren't at all. After smelling the dirt and odor left from the Kinder? They are ready. Ben is starting to blubber. At almost 5 months old he's big enough and likes the girls very much...

I'm planning on breeding a spotted doe to a spotted buck. It'll probably be like Appaloosas and just cancel each other out!

I'll keep a Fawn one for her if I get one, Thai!... (our luck it'll be a buck)

·
West Central Minnesota
355 Posts
Emily
That's a gorgeous Black buck! Someone should coming running to buy him. If I raised Nubians.......All Reg FB Boers here

I like the looks of Junior.......in tall grass/browse. We are dry here.......pasture is gone. Goats are being fed grass hay.

My bucks came into strong rut in June. I weaned the does and put the buck in.
2 yearling does with June kids,,,,,, I have 15 does due in November, and 6 doelings being bred for December. From what I observed, it appears that all will kid in a quick few weeks. Our cold deep snow winters the goats spend a lot of time indoors so I figure they may as well be raising kids on stored feed.

Great web site Gorgeous does. Do you have a dairy and market your milk?

Jerry

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hah! I was just telling my boys today that they're starting to get stinky. No one is getting any action around here till very late in the year though, I'm hoping to avoid most of the snow even though I have my own separated section of the garage that will have kidding pens in it lol. My Nubian/La Mancha, Ben, who is about 6 months old now, is getting all blubbery and stinky and starting to stand up to Zeus, who bellows at him and shoves him, while lil sweetie Howie (Zeus' son and 5 months old) stands by and looks on with little real interest. I've never known anyone other than myself who felt excitement at the smell of a buck rather than disgust LOL! It reminds me that there will be babies on the way again. ;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've had my new nubian buck running with the dairy herd for two/three weeks now. The smell isn't too bad right now - but everyone out there has it. Haven't had any of the milk taste bucky, which surprises me. I think he's taken 'care' of everyone......I breed my juniors in the fall.

I'm actually a bit scared of kidding season - I'll have nineteen freshening. I think my new milking machine made me a bit too confident!

Anyone need any goats in the Arizona area? lol

Niki

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I've noticed that the Kinder bucks seem to come in rut earlier than the other breeds. Last year my then-2-y-o Kinder buck started in JUNE! And this year a six-m-o buck started to come in rut a couple of weeks ago. My Oberhasli buck might be thinking about it, but he's not there yet.

Kathleen

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yep! It's time alright.
I hate it when it happens so early here.
I don't want to breed them till October for March babies so I have to watch for buck breakouts. This one is big and a real expert at escapes.
We have an electric fence but I am not so sure it is hot enough for him.

DH is going on vacation this next week and I have to go in that darn buck barn to feed them.
I opened the top of the dutch door to their house and the smell about knocked me over. DARN!
Even my little 4 month old wether is in rutt. :flame:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am generously feeding my junior herd sire (born in June), three bottles a day, so that he can get in on the breeding season. Had to dehorn him the second time this week. Poor fellow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts