Its planting day here

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Jan 26, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ayep, bottom of zone 9 in Bradenton, Florida on the Gulf coast. Money farmers allready have their tomatoes in the ground, the last frost date here is February 15th. Temps are mid 70's today, time is a wasting. Got about 20 things to plant, some standard, other strange; at least I have time enought to do it now. The tomatoes and potatos you see in the grocery store are proabibly from here or within about 50 miles of here. We have a 3 crop growing area and then the cold weather items in the fall - November and such. Of course winter comes here also, we just wear a long sleeve shirt that day! :p

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Gee, thanks for that Mitch, rub it in. :p Still under 4' of snow here! :eek: :waa:

3. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

Got 3' of snow over the weekend. Another 12" is forecast for today. You are so very very lucky.

I've started beans in a window box on the inside - I support them with string tied across the window frame - they get to be about 6' tall. They're pinto beans I got from a bag of dried beans at the grocery store. One bean planted yields around 100 beans when the plant matures.

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I was thinking about planting onions & cabbage today. It's still a little early for anything else. The high today is supposed to be 72. In about 3 more weeks, tomatoes can go out under "Wall o' Waters". I can't wait for a good vine ripened tomato!

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Its 21 degrees here today....you all suck eggs!

J/K.... I am just bitterly jealous. I have to wait till mid march/early april.

6. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

Bah.

I've got months and months to wait.

No likie zone 9. Very envious.

7. rj_in_MA

rj_in_MA Well-Known Member

Ayep,
    Just got another 6" of snow on top of 26" from a few days ago. The only thing I'll be planting for a while is snowballs. :rolleyes:
    But at least I don't have any of those 'Zone 9' bugs. :)

8. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Aw, c'mon people, think positive. We're in PA with about a foot of snow right now and more on the way - but at least we have about five months out of the year when we don't have to weed, mow and otherwise worry about our gardens! Leaves us time to plan the next year's garden and build that new chicken coop we've been talking about...

But it would be awfully nice to have homegrown tomatoes in March. Sigh.

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

No snow here, but the ground is still harder than Chinese Arithmetic and likely will be for a few months till the frost comes out.

10. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Moopups - you sure know how to rub it in to a person from Northern Ontario where the last frost date is June! Some years we get frost every month of the year! Enjoy it.

11. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups- our tomatoes are ripening and the recent "chill" sweetened our collards and kale. I think it's time to set out more pole beans.
    Henscratch Farms has it's second crop of strawberries ripening- shd be ready by this weekend!! :)

12. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Motown has temporarily changed it's name to snow town :haha:

Ed

13. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Much as I'd like to, I decided against planting today. The temp was -26* when I woke up. Maybe tomorrow will be warmer.